• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Front parking lamps

AndyS

NAXJA Forum User
Just realized the other day that I have no front parking lights - the rectangular ones under the headlamps, and the verical ones along side the headlamps are not working, no matter what the setting. The blinkers DO work. And today, I just checked the bulbs, and they're all fine. Checked all the fuses too, and they're fine as well. I played around a bit with the connector for the wiring harness for the lights, located under the airbox, and it seemed fine too. I'm a bit stumped; any ideas??

(sub-question) When I removed the black plastic bezel from one of the headlamps so that I could access the rectangular blinker lamp, I snapped Both screws holding the rectangular lamp to the fiberglass nose piece. (I soaked the screws with PB Blaster for two days before removing trying to remove the screws, but they were completely rotted) I tried drilling what was left of the screws out, but that didn't work too well with the fiberglass nose.... Once again, any suggestions?

(sub-sub question) Why does Jeep use such crappy quality fasteners?? Every nut/bolt/screw I touch on this thing snaps or strips when I put a wrench on them.....manifold bolts, shock mounting bolts, crossmember bolts, and now these screws....friggin' frustratin'. I have a '78 Rabbit and a '70 Nova that have never had this problem. Nuts and bolts have that satisfying "snap" when you put a little torque on 'em... No answers needed for this one; I'm just pissed...

Thanks -
Andy

Did you check the voltage at the connector or the bulb socket? Or did you just disconnect and reconnect? What about a new bulb? I assume you tested the bulbs for continuity? Sometimes bulbs will have continuity but not bur properly. We ran into that with one hour photo machines when I use to work on them. You don't see the light but when you pull the bulb it looks fine. Plug it up and there is a slight semblance of a glow.

On the fiberglass. I had that problem and had to drill out the post too. All I did was get a fiberglass repair kit and mix the resign and put it on the glass then shove it in the hole till it was packed full. Then I sanded smooth and drilled a pilot hole for new "bling, bling" stainless screws! HTH!

Well, I honestly doubt that all four bulbs have the same problem (especially the 1157's), and I DID replace two of them just for grins, but I didn't check the connectors for continuity - I just assume that there is none, since the new bulbs don't burn on that curcuit..... I suspect that there's something going on with that circuit; could it be a problem with the light switch itself?

That IS a good idea with the screws; I forgot that the same conditions that make it difficult to work with also make it easy to repair! I'll just go crazy with the drill then, and patch the holes with the repair kit! woo-hoo!

Thanks!
Andy

On the 96 and earlier XJs, there's connector behind the airbox in the left front fender. It's a bad location for corrosion. I lost the front markers, parking lamps, and eventually the low beam headlights when the wires cracked off the terminals.

I put some inline splices with inline connectors to fix them.

Not sure what year you have,but my parking lights,and instrument lights would all go out when I pulled the light switch on.The fuse for the instrument cluster would also short out.Turn signals and flashers and brake lights all worked.
The culprit was the "CHIME MODULE"as it is called.Shorted out internally.Like to drove me up a wall,finally took it to a local garage that is JEEP friendly.
The gentleman was pretty fast,but after he had traced @ 90% of the wires I mentioned a slight buzzing sound.He walked to the drivers side reached to the lower left of the fuse panel and pulled the module out.Stuck a fuse back in turned lights off and on several times and it's been that way for almost a year now...make that 2 years....If ya got one of these try it could be the cause
89"Cherokee is the year of mine............

Back