• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB: Ex-Forest Service Jeep...

1GrandWag

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all!
I'm new here and wanted to get some advice on buying a 1994 XJ. Its an ex-Forest Service Jeep (light green)with a 6 cyl. motor and auto tranny. Has 109k miles and is NOT a 4x4. I talked to the owner and he sez it has a posi-traction rear axle. It also has a/c, manual windows and doors and cruise control.
This one is for my wife :kissyou: . She really wants a truck to run around in -no off-roading [I know, I know - booooring!] and I may want to lift it a little and haul our bikes and canoe around.

1st - Whadya think?
2nd - What should we look out for?

well..... believe me... not too long after you get the 2wd you will probably go: "I wish I had held out for a 4wd"..... and also, at 109K miles the posi (or actually limited slip) is probably on it's last legs, especially if it has never had the rear diff fluid changed or it was changed without adding the additive.... I have babied my rear diff with regular fluid changes and additive each time... and LS has died on me about a month ago to the point that one of the spacer disks that held the clutches in, cracked, and twirled around inside resulting in a chipped ring gear tooth...

Government jeeps are suposed to be good, Ajax auto sells them all the time. The cop ones are supposed to be a little faster than a regular jeep, and if the forestry service is like cops, they have lots of our tax dollars to waist on maintnance.

2 wheel drive XJ's are pretty cheap. Probably get more for your buck with them if it will never see offroad use. As for the LS... My XJ has 172k on it and it still works (two beautifull mud rooster tails :D). Don't ask me how or why...

I have the 4x4 thing already covered. You see, I'm a full-size Jeep nut!
Here's my ride:
Bling1.JPG

Actually, my first Jeep was a cherry '89 XJ. My wife now wants to be part of the phenomenon... :)
We can prolly get this Jeep for @3k. Is that a good price/too high these days? I kinda need to get re-aquainted with the Cheros again. Thanks for any advice!

www.edmunds.com

Check the price. $3000 sounds high for a '94 2WD with manual everything.

I agree the limited slip is probably at the end of the rope. If it even really has one -- dod you check? I don't know why it would -- if the forest service didn't feel they needed 4WD they probably also didn't need a limited slip diff.

I'll make you a deal. Your wife is in need of an XJ. I can get you one. Just ship me your Grand Waggy. :laugh3:

check Ebay and see what the bids are for XJ's. That can give you an idea of what they're going for on the open market. 2wd XJ's have almost no resale value compared to the 4wd's. Here's some links... first one looks like a good deal. I might even buy it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6281&item=2448187716

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6281&item=2447623477

Back