• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long time Jeeper that is new to XJ's w/ some questions

Jeep nasty

NAXJA Forum User
to all the XJ gods out there,
I am very familiar with in the realm of jeeps CJ's and wranglers but i am currently trying to buy a xj for myself and i found one that has a damaged passenger side fender(it is mangled) but the rest of the jeep is in great shape. I not really familiar with what the term uni-body means but i understand that it does not have a sepaerate frame, my question is: can i just find a replacement fender for the XJ and swap it in or does being a unibody mean that i will have to have it proffessionally repaired and it has to be hammered out and bondoed all to hell.
thank you for the help,

New to the world of XJ's please help me with my question

i wasnt sure which forum to post this in

to all the XJ gods out there,
I am very familiar with in the realm of jeeps CJ's and wranglers but i am currently trying to buy a xj for myself and i found one that has a damaged passenger side fender(it is mangled) but the rest of the jeep is in great shape. I not really familiar with what the term uni-body means but i understand that it does not have a sepaerate frame, my question is: can i just find a replacement fender for the XJ and swap it in or does being a unibody mean that i will have to have it proffessionally repaired and it has to be hammered out and bondoed all to hell.
thank you for the help,

Just un-bolt it and replace.$100 for one that fits 84-96.$180 for later models.
Wayne

Re: New to the world of XJ's please help me with my question

multiple posting is generally frowned upon on our forums.

if you continue this practice, you will be sent through our spanking machine.

that is all.

Wayne Sihler said:
Just un-bolt it and replace.$100 for one that fits 84-96.$180 for later models.
Wayne

Awsome that pretty much settles it for me i found a sweet deal on a 99' xj and looks like i'll be buying very soon.

Front fenders can be replaced. The ones I have done.... the dmage to the fender usually pulls the front header panes rearward a bit, and the tabs it bolts to near the door seem get tweaked.

If the damage is not too bad, those can usually be pushed/pulled back in place.

You are correct, there is no seperate frame. With front end damage, make sure you look around where the upper coil spring seat it, as well as the upper shock hole. Look for unusal wrinkles in that area. Also, look at the "frame" near the lower door and follow it forward to where the bumper mounts.... look for wrinkles there as well.

Have fun, and welcome to the world of XJ's. :)
Glenn

Beezil said:
multiple posting is generally frowned upon on our forums.

if you continue this practice, you will be sent through our spanking machine.

that is all.
Nice welcome Beez.

Glenn said:
Front fenders can be replaced. The ones I have done.... the dmage to the fender usually pulls the front header panes rearward a bit, and the tabs it bolts to near the door seem get tweaked.

If the damage is not too bad, those can usually be pushed/pulled back in place.

You are correct, there is no seperate frame. With front end damage, make sure you look around where the upper coil spring seat it, as well as the upper shock hole. Look for unusal wrinkles in that area. Also, look at the "frame" near the lower door and follow it forward to where the bumper mounts.... look for wrinkles there as well.

Have fun, and welcome to the world of XJ's. :)
Glenn

COuld someone please give me some more info on what the Front header panes are, because the jeep was list as needing a new header but i thought they were refering to the manifold, but after the damage that glenn described to i think this might be what they are talking about. so what is the header pane and how hard is that to fix or is that something that can easily be replaced. any in depth in on this is greatly appriciated. I just need to do as much reseach as possible because i have to fly out to get the jeep if i decide to buy it and i want to have a heads up on any problems that may occour before i spend money to go see it and try to pick it up.,
thanks again everyone,
chris

BTW I will avoid multiple posting in the future and i will flog myself for stepping out of line already.

The front header panel Glenn refers to is the stuff under the grill and all. It includes the radiator support, grill stuff, and all that.

If it is just minor denting then it shouldn't be a problem. Like Glenn said, just look for wrinkles, they should't be there (also, compare it to the other side, should look mostly the same).

Also, if it looks like it might be more serious, on the test drive take the jeep to some water, then drive out in a straight line. As long as the Jeep isn't lifted both tires should track the same, so it will appear to be just two wet tire marks on the pavement. But if the Jeep is lifted there is a good chace that hte front axle isn't aligned (you probably know this from the other Jeeps, the track bar handles left to right alignment of the axle).

As for a potential header/manifold replacement. The early models were prone to manifold failure, but I belive that they resolved that issue, I could be wrong though. If it ends up being a manifold I would suggest putting a header in there, Borla and Banks come to mind on that. The replacement costs are fairly similar to putting in a stock manifold, and let's face it, you wanted a header anyway :)

Sequoia

Last edited:
You can also find fibre-glass replacement fenders.....look cool, and have the extra clearance we cut the stock ones to get....
They have the pre-runner look if you know what I am talking about....

after reviewing the pictures that was sent it is the header in the front the very fron of the jeep thats a part of the grille that is broken it is cracked on the top corner of the passenger side.

does anyone know the cost of one of these either new or from a junkyard
it is a 1999 XJ limited black
or does anyone know of someone parting out a newer xj and has one availible.

thanks again.

Jump This said:
You can also find fibre-glass replacement fenders.....look cool, and have the extra clearance we cut the stock ones to get....
They have the pre-runner look if you know what I am talking about....

that sounds like a good plan, do you have any names or links of copmanies that have thhese so i can check into it. i know where to get all my tj parts but i'm a little lost finding xj stuff

Back