• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distributor noise on my '98

Judd W. VA

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what experiences you guys have had with a screeching distributor. Mine just started yesterday mildly, but this morning was really raising hell. Definitely needs attention. No one seems to have one available. Sounds almost like a dealership i hate to say. On line, Rock Auto has one for $98. Anyone else know where they might be available, and the prices associated? Is it necessary to replace the dist? Has anyone had one apart for repair that was successful?

Thanks for any help.

My 94 started screeching the last morning in Moab during the Fall Fling. The colder it was, the worse it screeched, until the engine warmed up. The bronze bushings had worn out, and the original unit turned much harder than the new one.

AutoZone had a rebuilt for $65. My local parts pusher had a brand new Crown (complete with Mopar part numbers!) for $120, complete with cap, rotor and cam position sensor.

It's a pretty quick change, as you don't need to worry about retiming the distributor, just make sure you get it back on the right tooth on the camshaft. Get a distributor wrench if you don't have one.

Back