• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High idle after driving

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 Cherokee with the 4.0L in it, when I start it it idles completely fine at about 750RPM smoothly. After I have driven the Jeep at all it will continuously idle at about 1,300 RPM until I shut it down and let it sit for a while what could it be? I checked the TPS the Idle Stepper Motor, the MAP sensor, and I can't find any vacume leaks. :sunshine:

next time you drive it and it acts this way, pull over and start unplugging sensors (starting with the Idle stepper motor, TPS, IAT, CamPS, etc.) one at a time until you notice a difference. This is what I normally do and usually pinpoint as being the idle stepper motor needing cleaning. There are some sensors that will kill the engine as soon as you unplug like the MAP and CPS.
I have ran through all of this with my 87.

i have the same problem on my 87 and although i have yet to troubleshoot it i attribute it to the TPS most likely.. it started after a good soaking with the hose and a few cans of de-greaser.. when you figure it out let us know because it's a common problem with a few guys here..
mike

You should also check the linkage itself below where it runs down throttle body.XJROB has a good idea,when it happens start doing the wiggle and unplug test first,wiggle that throttle linkage when its acting up.I had a bent clip of some sort that would hangup everything from retuning to idle and it would not happen all the time.A little carb cleaner on those cables and linkage wont hurt with a touch of fresh lube on the exposed cable afterwards.

I second the suggestion to check your idle stepper motor.
My high idle issues went away after a good cleaning. Also blasted carburetor cleaner into the throttle body and it worked just fine. Seem to remember someone here saying to avoid some solvents-- you might do a search.

my 89 does the same thing. probably the idle stepper motor sticking. if your looking for vacuum leaks, might want to tighten your intake/exhaust manifold bolts.

you can get spray cans of throttle body cleaner.. it's safer for the sensors and such in an EFI system.... i have heard many people say carb cleaner is fine but it's worth the extra $1 to not take a chance on hurting the sensors.....
mike

I would check your intake manifold bolts and TB bolts. Often the high idle when warm indiactes the opening of an leak to allow for more air to enter the system which creates a high idle. Your gaskets might be leaking or your bolts may just be loose.

This is common for many vehicles.

Back