• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frozen Brake Bleeder

BMWSOB

NAXJA Forum User
How can I get this bleeder unstuck from the caliper? I sprayed it down with pb blaster twice and i was using a box end wrench. Its starting to get a little rounded and i may have to use vice grips now. Smoke wrench? Anyone got any tricks?

Thanks,

Donovan

One thing you can try is to get a 6-point socket over it. I have had some success on these using a 1/4 inch socket a little bit smaller than the bleeder is supposed to be, and hammering it on. Relatively cheap Taiwanese sockets that are a little soft work best. The good ones are more likely to crack. You can expect to need a new bleeder after that, and perhaps a new socket as well, but if the bleeder doesn't shear (always a possibility) you can get it out.

I was in Sears the other day and noticed they have a set of special sockets now for getting off damaged nuts and bolts. I didn't get any and don't know how well they work (was in a hurry, so also didn't check sizes), but they looked like a good idea - basically a tapered "hammer-on" socket that's designed to cut into the nut and twist off when you're done. If there's a size that fits bleeders it might be worth trying.

Ok thanks for the ideas. I remember those sockets you are talking about now. My boss at the place I work at at home has a set of those. Snap on brand though, they are called turbo sockets. That is a good idea. I'm actually getting another set of calipers now so i shouldn't have to deal with them.

Back