• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cuts out

2offroad

NAXJA Forum User
my'98 4.0 AW4, when i get below 1/4 tank cuts out when i start off quickly and turn doesn't cut off just stumbles. why?

In the 98 the fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and is internal in the gas tank. Sounds like either a faulty fuel pump or simply that the pickup orifice isn't located quite as low in the tank as it's supposed to be, so under acceleration or cornering the fuel sloshes away from the pickup and the fuel pump cavitates.

thats kind of what i thought, please tell me all i need to do is add blinker fluid, not drop the tank.

Never worked on one of the new style plastic tanks. I can tell you that the FSM says you can R&R the fuel pump in the old style tanks with the tank in the vehicle. Been there, done that. While it may be theoretically possible, it was a colossal PITA to get the pickup properly oriented in the tank, and dropping the tank made it a lot easier. I do NOT know if this holds true for the new tanks.

Same issue with my 99

but at 1/8th of a tank. I chalk it up to keeping the tank full.

Either of you still wihin warranty? If so, take it back to the dealer and let them fix it. There may even be a TSB about it. See,s to me a long time ago RichP posted something about a TSB covering a problem with the early plastic tanks. It wasn't pickup orientation, it was something about the plastic dissolving and clogging the filter -- I think.

In any event -- it should not start cutting out when you have a quarter of a tank of fuel, and IMHO that's a drive line issue, so take it to the dealer and let them fix it. Even if you're out of warranty -- call Chrysler's 800 number and make a big stink about how it's a safety issue, it could die in the middle of a highway and cause a chain reaction collision, yada yada. It really is unsafe, and they should fix it.

142,000 miles..

I was out of warranty within 15 months. How would I find out about tsb's and what makes them different from recalls?

Back