• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chop day arrives!!!

partsbill

NAXJA Forum User
Now that Thanksgiving is over and the wife is out shopping, Its time to start convert the cherokee. Thanks to all who have contributed to my asked questions to prepare me mentally to take the sawzall and new dewalt blades to the upper rear 1/4. Some say it won't be a cherokee now but it will be different and i think the only one in the area.

I'll try to take pictures of every little thing.

Bill

Well the chop job has begun. I took pictures, but can't figure out how to reduce the bandwidth. Chopped the top rear 1/4 at the upper front edge of the 1/4 windows and followed the seam at the bottom of the glass out the rear.

With everyones suggestions taken well, I went with more of a support vs. a roll cage. I'm not an extreme off-roader and there fore feel I only need comparable to what was there. Have in the past built contraptions out of galv. fence posts and chose this as well since I already have many pieces. Went with one bar up each side from the rear 1/4 up to the front upper area. Welded both end to there respective joint and ground off the excess.

This morning, since waking up at 3:30, fitted the upper cross bar and welded it all in. I have also welded some box steel forward from the upper corners for ward about 6 inches for a little added material if not strength. These pieces are hid by the trim pieces.

Many more additions coming as time and money permits.

Money spent so far. About $12.00 steel and $10.00 welding wire
Plus 1 blade for the sawzall .. $.75

Bill

feel free to e-mail me with pics, I can post them for you.

on the other hand, if you have pics to post, consider getting some server space with sb host.

Back