• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not Jeeps Best Idea !

gr8lite

NAXJA Forum User
Doing the lift on the XJ today! Got the front done , looks awesome!
However the rear is yet another story! I'd like to kick the guys azz who designed the upper rear shock mounting plan! Thats a really piss poor set up ! As I am sure you can tell , the bolts snapped right off ! Thats a super easy place to drill out broken hardware!
What if any options other than drill out the broken are there that any of you have found? Thanks for all you help and ideas!

I think most of us has had this problem. All I did was use my air hammer and pounded on the broken bolts. This breaks off the welded nut on the other side. I then dropped bolts in from the top. It went pretty easy.

Yes, they are a pain in the butt. I broke all of mine while trying to get them off. I drilled and tapped two of them on one side and easily reached up and put nuts on the other. I can't remember which side was which. I now have bought bar pin eliminators and will be dealing with this all over again. I think I am going to try and get nuts up there on both sides.

Curt

I just reused the brackets that I saved when I took off the rear sway bar.Has been fine since Labor Day. Just bolted them in the holes that the shocks would have gone into.

yikes said:
I just reused the brackets that I saved when I took off the rear sway bar.Has been fine since Labor Day. Just bolted them in the holes that the shocks would have gone into.

FYI.. that changes how the shocks rotate..... it changes it by 90 degrees and that potentially might cause binding and at the extreme busting the shock.....

Well the lift is done....almost. We ended up cutting 4 nice holes above the rear shock mounts on therear floor , used a air chisel to remove the welded nuts , then put standerd 3/8" bolts down through and bolted the shocks in! Worked Super!! Then the super hangen low azz shock studs on the bottom , that idea sux! So we welded a new bottom shock stud at the point where the stock shock braket and the axle tube meet. Then cut off most of the low azz shock mount. Much improved set up now !
Rides great , drives great , handles great! However that only lasts to the 44 mph mark. Then at 45 mph all heck breakes loose , vibration so bad it almost rips the steering wheel out of your hand! I am guessing rear drive shaft issue. Any thoughts? This is a 3" Rancho lift , with homebuilt rear springs , the rear is approx 4.5" of lift for now ! There is a new set of springs on the way for the rear. Thanks to all for all yopur help !

If it's ripping the steering wheel out of your hands, you have ... (drum roll, please) DEATH WOBBLE

I'll bet you ignored the Prime Directive: Always get an alignment after a lift. The added altitude affects both caster and toe-in, which may induce the dreaded death wobble.

Eagle said:
I'll bet you ignored the Prime Directive: Always get an alignment after a lift. The added altitude affects both caster and toe-in, which may induce the dreaded death wobble.

That was my first stop on Saturday after putting the lift in :D

All my bolts were rusted solid... first one I tried snapped off in a hurry...

A little late.. but.. from the good advice of another.... Took a little propane torch... heated up the bolts until they got a "white powdery" look to them... didn't break a single one!!! Don't use Mapp gas... that's too hot and you'll loose the bolt's strength...

"I'll bet you ignored the Prime Directive: Always get an alignment after a lift. The added altitude affects both caster and toe-in, which may induce the dreaded death wobble."

I had for sure planned on a alignment after the lift . However there aren't any alignment shops open in the area on Sunday! I am just surprised how BAD the DeAtH WoBbLe really is. I have never on any of the many lifted vehicles I have dealt with expirienced anything quite like this!

I want to thank all of the members here for all the great Ideas and assistance on this!

Back