• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another AC Question

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 95 XJ to the local shop to get their thoughts on the rough noise I heard when I had the defrost or AC on. They don't think that the compressor is bad, but it could be the idler pulley and the mechanic also said that I need a recharge, but that I could wait until summertime. My first question is to confirm that my defrost will still work properly if I disconnect the electrical connection from the compressor. The second thing I'm trying to find out is will a full charge of R134A quiet the clutch on the front of the compressor (now it turns on pretty loudly, and often). Third, the rough noise I'm hearing isn't audible when I'm standing over the engine with the hood open. It's more apparent from the inside of the Jeep which makes me think it's coming from the condensor or other components, almost below/behind the glove box. I read in my Haynes manual that on a 95 the blower motor is attached to the firewall on the engine side. Should I check this for worn bearings/shaft? Also, does this come on when the electric fan at the front of the engine comes on? Thanks!!
Matt

This doesn't answer any of your questions, but if you wait to recharge your system - you risk getting air into the system and having to do a full purge (or whatever they call it). That costs around 50 bucks or so.

The Defrost will work just fine with the compressor unplugged, It will just take a little longer to get the fog out of the window.

Back