• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge knuckles on Dana 44?

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
Has anyone ever used Dodge parts to get a Waggy Dana 44 to use 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern? I understand some mid-70s Dodge pickups had this pattern, and could be converted with Milemarker hubs to get away from the auto hubs that came on them. From what I gather, you use the Dodge outer knuckles, along with the hubs, rotors, calipers on the Waggy shafts and housing.
What's the scoop? Will this work?
:confused:

I don't see how it would work, as the Warn hub kit is designed to work with a Dana 30 unit bearing style spindle.

The Dodge has a standard 6 bolt outer knuckle, rather than the 3 bolt unit-bearing knuckle of the 30.

In the greater scheme of things you'l find that the cost of new wheels to go to 5 on 5.5" is insignificant when compared to building a 44 properly. Hell, they are damn near free if you get them from a Pick and Pull type of operation. I'm always seeing 15x8 Chevy "Rallye" wheels at those places.

CRASH

It's not the same conversion kit used on a D30, but the one that converts auto hubs into manual (Ramcharger-type). It's still a 44 hub.
I'd be more open to the 5 on 5 1/2 if I hadn't already rebuilt and installed an XJ D44 in the rear.

Just have the rear shafts and drums re-drilled to 5 on 5.5". Should be less than a C-note at your local machinist.

CRASH

and new rims or wheel spacer/adapters.
Some people get attached to their rims too.

I think a buddy of mine might have a set of Dodge 5 on 4.5" knuckles actually Bill. They have Mile Marker hubs.

Actually, if you found it for sale on the AZVJC, it might be the same guy

C-ROK said:
and new rims or wheel spacer/adapters.
Some people get attached to their rims too.

I think a buddy of mine might have a set of Dodge 5 on 4.5" knuckles actually Bill. They have Mile Marker hubs.

Actually, if you found it for sale on the AZVJC, it might be the same guy
Greg-
It might be the same guy, but the one I talked to today wants to seel the whole waggy axle w/Dodge knuckles attached. He said it's set-up for a YJ. Is that him?
I thought $500 was a bit steep when I wasn't even going to use the housing or carrier.

Back