• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More Helldorado closure info from a Moab resident.....

YELLAHEEP

NAXJA Forum User
I asked my friend Bill Hughes to look into the Helldorados closure and this is his reply:

"I got part of an answer for you today. It looks like we have lost lower Helldorado, possibly upper, and a large part of the Strike Ravine Trail (which is what the Helldorados depart from) due to a Utah State School Trust Land sale that took place in August. I don't know anything about the lady that bought it, other than that she called the RRFW club number and talked to Ber Knight about the "four wheelers that were tearing down her closed signs". She bought an entire quarter section in that area, and the way we place it on a topo map it affects the stuff I mentioned above.

As to the proving grounds, no one had heard about a closure, except the one I heard about at Safari time. A Grand County Sheriff in the club said then that they had been told to turn anyone out that they found out there. There seems to be confusion over what is BLM, Utah, and private land around here. I think we need to start with an accurate map that way before much more time passes. I may contact my Road Department friends to find out where to get an accurate one."

Just passing this along.
Troy

You'd think a sale like that would send up all kinds of red flags we'd have at least gotten a chance to bid, ourselves. Still, I can't think of a worse way effect public opinion, than to have 4x4 folks disrespecting private property, no matter how it was done. Hits too close to home, for a lot of people.

Worst part about the sale of this land is that it was advertised in the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News for weeks prior to the sale.......guess we locals need to watch the legals a little closer.

The sale was made final on October 10th......the day that many of us were running Lower Helldorado for what is probably the last time....................

The 150 acres purchased went for $45,000.00.....that's $300 an acre.......most folks spent more than that on food and fuel to get to Moab and back in October.

I'm definitely keeping future sales of this type on my radar.

XJEEPER said:
Worst part about the sale of this land is that it was advertised in the Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News for weeks prior to the sale.......guess we locals need to watch the legals a little closer.

The sale was made final on October 10th......the day that many of us were running Lower Helldorado for what is probably the last time....................

The 150 acres purchased went for $45,000.00.....that's $300 an acre.......most folks spent more than that on food and fuel to get to Moab and back in October.

I'm definitely keeping future sales of this type on my radar.

All right, tis on us, then.:( Hell of a wake up call, but now we know.

Update found on PBB

Quoted by WildYoats- Ok, I know there is much talk about this or that regarding these trails.... In a telephone conversation (thanks Chad G.) as of some minutes ago with the Moab BLM, here is what was told:
Lower Helldorado was indeed SOLD one week ago and IS closed off.
Upper Helldorado is still OPEN

Back