• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with U-joint!!!

mattmocarsky

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to replace a blown wheel u-joint. Pulled the axle assembly out of the front end and removed the c clamps holding the U-joint in place but I cannot get the caps to pop out. I have tried banging it out with a large bolt and hammer but it will not budge. My vise is to small to be used as a press and I tried using large C-clamps but they just kept slipping off. I have given up for the day. Any ideas? Thanks.

Matt

I´ve got a big steel (not cast iron/broke a cast iron once) vise that has only failed me once. Had one U-joint, that refused to move. I hammered until I was sure I´d bend or break something, twisted the vise handle with a breaker bar, until I was sure something would pop.
Ended up breaking out the end of the bearing cap with a small cold chisel. Then used a pointed punch to bend the bearing race out a bit, with a little oil, things then started to move. I was carefull and did little damage to the yoke, a minute with a round file removed the burrs, I´d made with the pointed punch.
I used to use, the hammer methode, until I bent the yoke on a driveshaft once, then switched to the vise methode.
Some heat, could also help. Not red hot, just hot enough to help get things moving. I´ve on occasion, popped stuborn parts/bearings in the oven for awhile.

Back