• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got TPS Connector?

XJade

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this saves other people time and expense. So here goes...

Having recently changed out my bad throttle position sensor I wanted to change out the square (male) connector coming out of the harness going to the TPS; my old one was cracked and brittle with mega corrosion. Went to several dealerships and auto parts stores. The auto parts places were clueless as to how to order this square Weatherpack. And of course the dealers wanted you to buy the whole friggin' harness and did not offer the connector seperately. I also went to alot of junk yards and their connectors were just as bad off as mine. And that was when they could find one! Not many junk harnesses to be had.

After brainstorming for a little bit I decided to contact Wells Manufacturing (the maker of my new TPS). I figured if they had the female end on their TPS surely they would know how to get a hold of the male end or something like it. They were extremely helpful and gave me a part number of #239 which I could order from Autozone. Autozone's database lists it as "Coil Pigtail" or "Coil Connector". It came up as a Wells part so I said what the heck and ordered it. $14.99.

I picked up the pigtail connector today. Bingo! A near match. The packaging says "Pigtail Assembly" and is a four-wire Weatherpack. The old one used only three wires. But this is no big deal. It's alot better than having an unreliable, dry-rotted TPS harness connector.

The tech at Wells also gave me a part number (# 447) for
the harness connector going to the idle stepper motor but seeing as Autozone listed it at $44 (and also called a "Coil Pigtail") I decided to hold off on that purchase for now. See if I can't find it elsewhere for a more reasonable price. $15 for that one pigtail was a ripoff but I figured it was money well spent.

Yes. I probably could've did some soldering or direct splicing of the wiring to the TPS. And maybe even used a more common Weatherpack connector but I wanted to maintain the factory wiring design. I'm anal like that! And lord knows I'll probably need another TPS in the future. This way I can just unplug and plug without any cutting and crimping.

So hopefully this will save some people gas money, headaches, and frustrating phone calls...or maybe it won't. Maybe some folk will say "Gee. You went through all that? What a dumbass."

But ah well. The saga for me has ended. Bye now.

Thanks for the leg-work!

Mine's not out of commission...yet...but thanks for the heads up.

Back