• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

distibutor squeeking

egon

Dunlop Slayer
NAXJA Member
This happens randomly, but seems to be linked to the recent cold weather and the Jeep sitting over night. Also, it has only happened about 6 or 7 times in the past month. From start up until the warm, the distributor will squeek as it rotates. By touching the cap, I can feel the vibes from what ever is happening. What should I look for when I pull the cap and inspect it? Could I hit the top end of the dist. with some lube?

--Matt

Thats a good one, never witnessed that first hand but the only thing I can think of that would cause a squeek is maybe the button on the cap that the rotor rides on to pass on the juice. Might check to see if you have an abnormal wear pattern on the top of the rotor, in that case, change the rotor, or both. Any other ideas ???

Just did this on my 94.

It's the bushings around the shaft.

Did it the first time on the Saturday morning Deb & I left Moab (Fall Fling.) Only did it in cool weather, and as soon as it warmed up, the squeak went away.

I put a new distributor in, and the new one turned MUCH easier than the old one. Squeak gone.

Back