• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strap it on, baby!

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Real simple and quick: I'm swapping my 35 for an 8.25. I don't think this is really a Mod Tech question though. When I do the swap, can I use the u-joint straps from the pinion yoke on the 35, or should I go down to the dealership and get some new straps?

BTW, what size is the d-shaft ujoint? And it's the same for the 35 and 8.25, right?
Thanks.

I'm not sure about the technicalities of the question, but one thing I do know is not to re-use u-joint straps. ALWAYS put on new ones after the old ones have been taken off.

Phil Weeks said:
8.25 driveshaft will not work. Can someone tell me that my current will work?

Ummmm ... if you're installing an 8.25 axle, why won't an 8.25 driveshaft work?

FWIW, the u-joints are the same size, and the driveshaft for a stock 8.25 behind an AW-4/231 is 5/8" shorter than the driveshaft for a stock Dana 35 behind an AW4/231. If you have any lift at all and extended rear bumpstops, you should be fine with your existing driveshaft. If you are at stock height or have not extended the bump stops, cycle the suspension to full compression with the new axle in place to be certain that the slip yoke isn't bottoming out in the transfer case.

Always install new straps. You can find them in the HELP! section at Pep Boys.

Back