• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gears on 8.25...some ?'s

b-suth

NAXJA Forum User
Well, a big brown truck dropped off a nice big box full of goodies from some guy named Randy. He finally sent me those 4.10 gears I have been dreaming about.

I have a friend who is a mechanic, and has set up R&P's on some d35 and d30's, but never the 8.25, so he is a little apprehensive, as am I.

My question is to any of you who have set up gears on this axle, whether there are any secrets or things to look out for? We are planning on doing the setup this sunday, and the heep is my wife's DD, so she is concerned about driveability on Monday morning.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have always recieved very helpful advice from these forums, no matter how small the issue. TIA

Boyd

Forgot an essential: 95 XJ, so it has 27 spline axle, if that matters.
Also, I've got 165k on these axles, anything else to check while I have them disassembled?

Other than the fact that there is no standard for marking gears(like Dana),theyre actually easier to set up do to the adjustable spanners.Pinion depth will be only challenge!

you will LOVE working on an axle with backlash adjusters.

BTW, gear marking, or trying to figure your pinion depth by the numbers, in my experience is inaccurate. The first two axle i did, I tried the add/subtract routine, both yielded crappy patterns.

A good way to start is to use NEW shims of the SAME thickness of the original shims. Keep a log of the original shim thicknesses, and any changes along the way, and the effects they had, you will see a pattern emerge. So if you start with original shim thickness, and dial in the correct backlash using ht eadjusters, pull a pattern, you could get lucky and nail it. If you don't make SMALL moves toward what the pattern is telling you...

post pictures of your patterns here for a diagnosis.

Get the full master install kit and replace the bearings and seals. It's just silly not to fully rebuild the axle while you have it torn down. You will need a tool to adjust and tighten the backlash adjusters. The best piece of advice I can offer is take the time to get that perfect pattern. The more effort you put into it now, the more quiet and reliable it will be. Good luck and if you need any help PM me for my tele #.

That was six years ago! He probably got it done by now. :laugh3:

Back