• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

any tricks to sealing beadlocks???

Fore Wheeler

MWC President
NAXJA Member
I've got the two 'old' tires mounted on the beadlocks waiting on my two new tires, problem is, is that they won't seal. I've torqued the bolts to 18 ft/lbs, the one lost 10 psi over night and the other I can hear leak once mounted. The one that leaks worse I've used some black silicone to try to seal it up with no luck.

any suggestions??

I assume you are mounting the beadlocks on the tire that is not mounted right?

make sure both beads are wet with soapy water. I put just a touch of air , just to keep the thing "behaved" like a pound or two....

obviously, bolt the ring on in an opposing pattern....

12-to-6

3-to-9 and so on.....

I seem to have a leak or two each time I mount up a set (although I got lucky the last time). I put soapy water, actually I just spray on whatever I have close in a spray bottle, all the way around the bead to make sure there are no leaks. Mostly it's getting everything clean, any debri will cause a problem. I've only had one stubborn one, and I got it to seal by putting some tire patch glue around the bead.

18 lbs sounds like a lot, is that the torque that you're instructed to use on those wheels? I would NOT over torque them. The bolts can break later on, one by one, and cause you a problem, possibly a serious one. There is a lot more torque applied to those bolts if some start to break, they can only handle the force on the lock ring with all of the bolts sharing the load.

BTW, I recommend always using new bolts when you take one apart. I learned this lesson the hard way. The bolts can get over stressed when taking the ring off since we're not as careful with removing them as we are installing them, and then break as they are re-installed. I've had to easy out a bunch of broken bolts, which isn't always easy with grade 8 bolts.

Beezil said:
I assume you are mounting the beadlocks on the tire that is not mounted right?

make sure both beads are wet with soapy water. I put just a touch of air , just to keep the thing "behaved" like a pound or two....

obviously, bolt the ring on in an opposing pattern....

12-to-6

3-to-9 and so on.....

not mounted, is this such a simple question that I'm putting too much into it? I'm trying to mount the tire on the beadlock rim. ?

a pound or two, total, for ever? I was going to leave them at 4 or so, I went up to 25 psi just to check the seal and the one went to 15 and now it's staying there. The other must have something screwy with the bead, I should take off, examine the bead, clean if necessary, soap it up and remount?

opposing pattern is correct,

the 18 ft lbs is taken from the rockstomper install, they say torque the bolts 10 to 20 lbs, I'm using lock washers so I figured 18 would be close to 15 ish. What do you torque the bolts to??

I found that when beadlocks leak, the leak will stop or start at a certain presure depending on that leak.....it's still a leak. The only solution to a leak is to remove the ring, clean up the bead, and re-install the ring. Like I said, I've only had one stubborn leak that kept up after removing and re-installing a couple of times, and I ended up putting some tire patch glue on the bead which fixed it.

Beez is saying put a pound or two in it while your torquing down the bolts. I've never done that, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.

not mounted, is this such a simple question that I'm putting too much into it? I'm trying to mount the tire on the beadlock rim.

not at all!

I had some trouble on my first two, in fact, I *still* have a slow leak in one of them.....

occasionally filling the tire a wee bit as I was going around the lock ring, *seemed* to keep slight uniform *tension* on the bead as i tightened them.

the key is lubricant for the bead.....even the slightest 'bunching up' of the bead will cause some leaks....

this is just one of those pesky things that ya gotta go through with beadlocks it seems, shit, I've only mounted on set, seemed to go okay, i don't think a little airleak makes you an idiot, probably some luck involved....

I think one-bead even says his will leak a little....thank god his do, that way he doesn't have room to call me a tard.....

Yeah, you gotta check for leaks around the ring with soapy water before you're done.......too easy to have a small leak.

Ive mounted two sets of TR beadlocks and I could not get them to seal properly without silicone. I lubed, added air had the tire seated properly at a tire shop and nothing worked but silicone (in fact it was the tire shop that suggested it). I dont loose any air at all now, 100% air tight for over a year now.

Oh, I dont know how your beadlocks are designed but the boilts on mine were too long and were actaully making contact with the rim face before the tire was actually clamped down, so I had to cut each bolt manually for all the rims :rolleyes: (they were stainless I paid extra and could not wait for a new set to be delivered). So you might want to check that too if applicable.

XJguy

XJguy said:

Oh, I dont know how your beadlocks are designed but the boilts on mine were too long and were actaully making contact with the rim face before the tire was actually clamped down, so I had to cut each bolt manually for all the rims :rolleyes: (they were stainless I paid extra and could not wait for a new set to be delivered). So you might want to check that too if applicable.

XJguy

what was the rush?

Hunter

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
im not talkin sh!t, im just curious why youd cut the ends off 32 bolts for 4 wheels. seems like it'd be quicker to go to the hardware store.

Hunter

Sorry, my bad, with all the XJGuy bashing I guess I jumped to quick. Accept my appoligies.

Dan

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
im not talkin sh!t, im just curious why youd cut the ends off 32 bolts for 4 wheels. seems like it'd be quicker to go to the hardware store.

Hunter

2:30am (nothing open), tires were all dismounted from the old rims, Jeep was at 24hr tire shop on jack stands, had to drive to Canada the following morning....when things get tough the tough get to cutting a shit load of bolts that he paid premium for.

XJguy

Back