• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Speaker Q's

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
Im trying to put some 6x9"s in my rear hatch but i cant figure out which of the stock speaker wires is - and +. anyone know ? both left and right side speaker wire + and -?

thanks

Negative is usally black or it has a stripe.

if you haven't already purchased the 6x9's, you might want to opt for some two or three way 6 1/2's. 6x9's tend to wear out alot faster, and don't handle lower freq's as well. but if you already have them, then the first reply is accurate. good luck.

good luck with the speaker depth. I got 6.5's in my 00 xj but it wasnt fun. 6x9's can crush 6.5's becuase they have more cone area and they can usually handle more power. Only problem is it's best to have a lot of air volume. As far as speaker positive and negative I dont have a diagram but fool proof method is to hook up a 9 volt battery to the speaker wire and if the speaker pops out you have the polarity correct. Dont forget the positive of a 9 volt is the small contact.

iv actually allready bought the 6x9"s 3 ways. and il already got a 12" sub for the lows. the speaker already says the postive and minus im jsut trying to figure out the actual stock speaker wire polarity. the stock harness is still thier. just wondering which is postive and negitive so i can hook it up to my speakers correctly. :)

The stock wires are junk and will not run your 6x9s. You need to run some 12 or 14 gauge wire. It's a bitch but can be done.

i just want to hook up the stock speaker wires to the 6x9's for now though... doesnt anyone know ?? i know someone here has put in new rear speakers??? iv put one in so far. i didnt even have to cut anything like i thought.

backinblack said:
The stock wires are junk and will not run your 6x9s. You need to run some 12 or 14 gauge wire. It's a bitch but can be done.
?? What are you basing that on??? The gauge has nothing to do with the speaker size (Dimension) but with the wattage being output by the stereo and the distance over which that wire has to run !!

In any case, for most applications 16 gauge is more then enough... but in the beginning you should have no problem using the stock wiring. In any case, the battery trick you use to find out which one was positive on the stock speaker and thus you can find out which one of the wires from the harness is positive...

the thing is though my jeep didnt come with rear speakers. all that is thier is the stock speaker harness. Do you see what im saying? i just need to find out which wire is which :)

from inside the jeep facing the rear hatch on the left side thw wires are whit/violet and orange/violet and on the right side thier is yellow/brown and blue/brown.

Last edited:
in that case, look at what colors you have on the rear and then look at the front where the harness plugs in the radio and determine which wire goes were....

Jeepster4wd said:
Sounds like alot of work.... lol i think il just wait and buy an amp and just hook it up that way.
there is next to no work: look at the wire colors in the rear, look at the wires in the front and see where the same colors are connected... very simple

OK, you said that you have the harnerss in the rear.. so I assume the harness has speaker wire attached to it... which goes to the front of the jeep.....

Now if what you're referring to as the speaker harness is the harness that plugs into the radio and you don't have any wires ran yet, see if you can find someone with an FSM or go to a stereo shop or electronics shop that sells the harness/adapters from the stock harness to an aftermarket stereo and look at what they list there as wire colors... (don't have to buy it, just read the outside instruction label)

oh alll u need to do is just cut that harness off, i wasnt planning on keeping it. and hook up the wires to the speaker. thats all i did with the front speakers. i installed some new 5.25 pioneers upfront.

You mean after all this it was just an RTFM error we were dealing with?

Sheesh! :rolleyes:

Back