• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Must I evacuate the AC??? ($140!!!)

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
To change my leaking heater core (95 4.0) the Haynes manual says I must have my AC evacuated. The shop wants 140? Ouch

Is this necessary? I really don't want to pay that much if it's not..

I'm changing my heater core and water pump any day now, and my cooling system has a can of 'Comet" cleanser plus 2 prestone radiator flush bottles in it... The comet was advice from friend, to get a good flush on the block.
The heater core is bypassed presently, and I have a one year old GDI rad.
Whats funny is that it's running cooler now that ever before!

If I must pay to evacuate the AC, is there anything else I should be doing (of have done) while we're at it? I'm clueless about AC systems. I have the 134, not R12.

Thanks

YES, you have to remove it. The garage will capture it for you then after you have done all your work they will reinstall it for you. You need to have a vacuum pulled on the system before you put in the new charge.

I also hear changing a heater core is a pain, did you ask the shop by chance what they'd charge for the entire job? Others beside me can tell you how difficult a job it is.

that is was too much money...i got it done for 20 bucks, unless they charge alot more to recover 134 than r12... then just get the refill kit at the auto store.

There is nothing illegal about direct venting R134a into the atmosphere.

Only R-12 must be captured, under EPA regulations.

For systems with R134a:
Just open the valve, vent to atmosphere, and close again to prevent contamination.

Have it filled in the spring, or do it yourself. It's available OTC everywhere.
That's why it's legal to vent: anybody can buy it and possibly misuse it without danger to the atmosphere.

Issues aside with venting R134, it's still MANDATORY that, when refilling the AC system, a vacuum must be pulled on the system, and held for 30 minutes minimum, to guarantee that all moisture is removed from the system before refilling with new refrigerant.

Unless you have a vacuum pump, that makes this a job for professionals.

I did my core last spring....I ended up cutting the lower part of the dash in frustration, made it much easier....looks like hell. If looks are important to you, farm it out.

Rev

It isn't too bad of a job. I removed the passenger seat to make more room to work. You could just vent the r134 into the air and just pay for the vacuum and replacement. My a/c guy did the recovery and vacuum/refill for an hours labor and didn't charge me for the r134 since it was mine anyway.
I did the whole job in a day including the refill to give you an idea of the time it takes.

Good news...

My friend is a mechanic at the local Jeep dealership, and will be discharging my AC system tomorrow... after work. He helps quite a bit when I have jeep questions, etc. Very knowledgable.

Thanks for the tips and replies.

CB

Back