• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stupid power steering question

magoo117

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
First of all I have an AGR pump with a J20 box in my XJ.After bashing around on the rocks yesterday at Paragon my steering wheel is no longer centered.Nothing is bent,it goes down the road straight,everything is the way it was before this happened.What did happen?and what do I do to fix it?

You probably lost some lift!Did the steering wheel move to the right?

I have the same thing, even after allignment, the wheel is to the right. I pulled the wheel, only to find the bastards at Chrysler, keyed the wheel, so you can't recenter it at the steering wheel. I guess they were afraid it would loosen up & spin. This also sucks, if you want to put your own custom wheel on. I thought about taking it loose @ the pitmanarm, but don't know if the gear box has locks in it, or if it will spin free.

What's your take RCP Phx.

Thanks
Rob

99-750.gif

You re-center the wheel by the adjusting collar on the drag link.Just as you have to re-center it after a lift,you will have do the same if you start losing lift!

BTW:this affects your toe-in also.Anything worn or loose in the trackbar will do the same thing!

Last edited:
Yeah,It's to the right about a half a turn.I just measured and the lift is still about the same.It's been lifted with these springs for about 11 months now so I'm guessing it should of settled by now.

What steering/trackbar set-up are you using?With 38's you must have a fairly substancetial lift!

I have a HP44 with flat tops,high steer arms,1 1/4"DOM tie rod and drag link and the big Chevy TRE's.

magoo117 said:
First of all I have an AGR pump with a J20 box in my XJ.After bashing around on the rocks yesterday at Paragon my steering wheel is no longer centered.Nothing is bent,it goes down the road straight,everything is the way it was before this happened.What did happen?and what do I do to fix it?

This is a commom occurance, and no conclusive diagnosis has ever been confirmed. Mine used to do this and would always come back to center after a few days of driving, and I've heard plenty of others have had the same experience.

Don't know if the frame tweaks a little at the track bar mount or at the steering box, the track bar mount moves slightly, or if something happens inside the steering box, or........

Mine doesn't do it anymore, but I have beefed the frame considerably, welded the track bar mount to the frame, and changed the steering box.

If it doesn't come back to center, just re-center the wheel with the collar on the drag link. Also, doing this DOES NOT change the toe in or affect the allignment.

Goatman,thanx for the input.I drove around a little today and it has come back a little,maybe a quarter turn.I'll give it a few more days and then adjust the drag link. I guess I will be beefing the steering box area and welding the tracbar mount on.

FELIX said:
I have the same thing, even after allignment, the wheel is to the right. I pulled the wheel, only to find the bastards at Chrysler, keyed the wheel, so you can't recenter it at the steering wheel.

There's a good reason for that. The lash in the steering box is tightest when the BOX is centered, and gets looser off-center. If you re-centered the steering by removing the wheel and installing it in other than the factory position, (a) you would screw up the internals of the box, and (b) you would have more turn to one side than the other.

The input shaft is indexed to be sure the steering wheel remains correctly oriented relative to the steering box. If there's a problem, fix the problem, don't screw up other things trying to hide the symptoms.

Eagle said:
If there's a problem, fix the problem, don't screw up other things trying to hide the symptoms.

Well stated Eagle. I just remember being able to do it on my 76 Bronco, without any noticable problems. I still think it sucks you can't change the wheel to a custom one though. :bawl:

99-750.gif

If your steering wheel is off center after wheeling, Then you probable have bent the draglink slightly. Been there, done that a couple of times before I went to HD Currie setup.:D

Eagle,I'm adjusting with the drag link as stated above,NOT taking off the steering wheel.The drag link is NOT bent,1 1/4' .250 wall DOM is pretty heavy duty stuff.I'm sure it is bendable but with a straight edge on mine it is not bent.

You still didnt answer how much lift and what tracbar set-up(location) your running.A pic would help!

The lift is around 9" or so.The trac bar runs in a parallel(spelling?) with the drag link.It uses a drop R-E bracket.The trac bar and axle mount are fabricated.The drag link runs from the stock drop pitman arm to the hi steer arm.This setup has been on there for about 6-8 months with lots of wheeling and thrashing in the rocks.There is nothing wrong with the setup,it works fine,it still works fine.It goes down the road staight,steers the same right to left,no problems,no complaints.I'm just wondering whats up with the steering wheel being off center.

Back