• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LAME: How do I remove the liftgate interior panel?

stoneattic

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to remove the liftgate interior panel. I removel the 3rd brake light, pull out he screws and did some yanking around the perimeter of the panel but couldn't get in to come off. Of course since it's plastic I'm worried about pulling the wrong place and breaking it.

I'm sure plenty of you guys have pull this off before, any hints before I snap pieces of plastic all over my garage?

THANKS!

Advice: BE CAREFUL

The trim panel is held on with a series of plastic push-on barbed retainers. Ideally, you should go to an auto parts store and buy a trim remover tool. It has a long-ish wide blade with a slight curve to it, and a notch in the tip to allow the end of the blade to surround the plstic retainer while you GENTLY pry it out of the hole.

Works much better on a warm day. The plastic gets brittle when cold, and breakage is more likely.

That's pretty good. When my dome light stopped working, I tried to take my panel off to have a look at it. I stopped when I broke one of the retainers. I then took it to the dealership, and I'm pretty sure they broke at least 2 or 3 more. When I declined the repair(a new switch in the latch) They slapped the thing back on broken retainers and all. Funny thing is, now my dome light works again. As long as it doesen't fall off I guess I'm ok.

Back