• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

want your opinion

taco502

NAXJA Forum User
I've been lurking for a while trying to figure out what to do with the 97 I just bought, don't have extreme dough and don't want to mess with death wobble. here's what I came up with.

2"s and 32's sounds good, I'm thinking 1" spacer (already have spacer), 5.2 ZJ coils (not up country) in front, then in back a Dakota leaf pack and MJ shackles should put me at 2"s all around, hack as much fender as possible with retaining dignified look and cover with TJ flares. Tranny drop if neccesary (cheap) then toss 32's on stock rims. also fabbing front and rear bumper and rear swing out tire mount. all on a 97.

opinions on this set-up? I want to get started.

Well ... you asked:

I think 32's are too big for that setup. 32s on OEM rims are going to rub like crazy on the LCAs, and in the back you won't get any compression travel at all w/o rubbing unless you do MASSIVE trimming.

IMHO if you want to limit the lift to 2" you should be thinking 31s, especially on stock rims.

are you worried about death wobble or drive train vibration. death wobble can happen on your jeep, lifted or not. 97's are notorious for drive train vibration when lifted, not DW.

IMO....
Leave it stock hieght, add skid plates, rocker protection, hooks, and a TAD. Get a little bigger tire, maybe 30's, with a good AT tread. You will go 90% of the places everyone else does.

JMHO

Rev

i thought that dakota leafs gave you up to 4.5" lift?

Last edited:
taco502 said:
I've been lurking for a while trying to figure out what to do with the 97 I just bought, don't have extreme dough and don't want to mess with death wobble. here's what I came up with.

2"s and 32's sounds good, I'm thinking 1" spacer (already have spacer), 5.2 ZJ coils (not up country) in front, then in back a Dakota leaf pack and MJ shackles should put me at 2"s all around, hack as much fender as possible with retaining dignified look and cover with TJ flares. Tranny drop if neccesary (cheap) then toss 32's on stock rims. also fabbing front and rear bumper and rear swing out tire mount. all on a 97.

opinions on this set-up? I want to get started.
First the Dakota leaf pack I got 4.5" out of using all the dakota leafs and the dakota main leaf with the eyes cut off and with the mj shackle you will be around 5". You could mix and match and get the height you want just try different combos.
Not sure on the ZJ coils I think that should put you around 2" with the 1" spacers. I have 31s on stock rims and I think they work perfect. I can go anywhere I need with them. Just my opinion I would go 3" and 31s. I started at 2" and 30s then 3" and 31s and now at 5" and 31s going to 33s or 35s at tax time. DIG IT!

When I started I was given the same advice Rev gave. I have found it to have been sound advice. You would be surprised where a stock XJ can go if you are careful. My little stock XJ has surprised people a couple of times (especially me). Even with sagging rear springs it continues to perform very well.

Don't go light on the armor. I went with Tomken bumpers, front and rear, and 2X4 rock rails. The bumpers have paid for themselves many times over. (wet clay and ice is very slick) Plus both of these bumpers have receiver hitches - which can be a big help when you do get stuck.

-Brian

Rev Den said:
IMO....
Leave it stock hieght, add skid plates, rocker protection, hooks, and a TAD. Get a little bigger tire, maybe 30's, with a good AT tread. You will go 90% of the places everyone else does.

JMHO

Rev

I like your plan for the front, I think you're correct that you'd get about 2" from that. You can probably put 32's on with 2" , but be prepared to cut quite a bit and get longer bumpstops (hockeypucks), not sure how dignified it will look, you might want to stick with 31's. 32's on stock rims will limit your turning radius quite a bit.

The rear is another story. I think you'll get much more lift than you plan on. Why not keep your XJ pack and just use the main leaf off of a Dakota pack as an AAL for your pack? You can't cut as much in the rear usually either(without having to re-weld the pinch seam), so the tires will be a close fit.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does "TAD" stand for?

Thanks

Locker!!

Lock-right, Detroit, ARB $$$, Etc.! I have the Lock-Right and am very happy with it!

bump for 2" final plan approval: 1" spacer, 5.2 ZJ coils, mj shackle, 1 Dakota main leaf, cut fenders, TJ flares, 31's, t-case drop.

yes?

taco502 said:
bump for 2" final plan approval: 1" spacer, 5.2 ZJ coils, mj shackle, 1 Dakota main leaf, cut fenders, TJ flares, 31's, t-case drop.

yes?

Do the lift and transfer case drop first. If you stick with 31s on OEM rims you may not need to trim at all.

You PROBABLY won't need a t-case drop if you only net 2", but you never know on the newer style. If you end up putting a drop in, try to get a way with 1/2" instead of 1". The more clearance the better.

Back