• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

double-checking aluminum prices

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I was checking out a thread on POR about aluminum sheets.

I just got some sheets quoted by a couple of my suppliers.

I am usually astounded by the high prices "joe blow" usually pays for stuff.

this is the first time I've ever seen whacked prices quoted to a company, that is double and triple what I've seen 'joe blow' pay...

either the POR prices are total bullshit, or I'm getting whacked prices....

.40 x 48 x 120 5052 h32 449.11 CWT sheet $151.30
.063 x 48 x 120 6061 t6 341.57 CWT sheet $199.38
.090 x 48 x 120 6061 t6 314.21 CWT sheet $212.75

52.00 dollars of this is delivery charge which I wouldn't pay anyway....

whats the deal?

Modeler's clay, think of the possiblities. We could tell people it's the next concept XJ when it's out on the trail :D

What about empty beer cans? There aluminum. Get enough of them together, and bingo! Makes for easy trail fixes too, get some body damage, have a cold one , flatten it out and patch the hole.

I'm actually serious about this and considered doing it on my rig even:
high density polyethylene (HDPE).
They use it for motocross skid plates, very slick (as in slipperly not "nifty"), very durable, does not dent, restores to shape, machines similar to wood, can be hot air welded, even heated and formed to shapes.
Weight would be comparable to aluminum althought panels would be substanitally thicker - probably 0.375" I would guess.

Get it what ever color you want and it's always that color, even the scratches.

C-ROK said:
I'm actually serious about this and considered doing it on my rig even:
high density polyethylene (HDPE).

The skids on my quad are made with this stuff, my buddy has AL on his. Every rock leaves a dent on his, I just slide over. When io first saw it I thought NO WAY, but it has proven to be vary durable. It is about 3/8 thick.

Rev

I'll dig. Don't go McMaster's.
Try yellow pages for plastic supply shops in your area. There are litteraly dozens and dozens around here.

Here's some links to National Supply Houses:
Ryan Herco

Some other place I never heard of

It looks like HDPE is available in black and natural. The "natural" is sort a light tanish color.
Downside is you virtually cannot paint it. There isn't a paint out there that will stick to it.

PS
For body panels I would think 0.125" would be the thickest you would need. Maybe even 0.093".

Our family business does fiberglass, kevlar, and graphite composites.

Think of the ricey potential of a graphite body combined with a supertrapp muffler.

It would be phat, dawg.

CRASH

C-ROK said:
I'll dig. Don't go McMaster's.
Downside is you virtually cannot paint it. There isn't a paint out there that will stick to it.

Have you guys ever herd of Tough N' White Primer?http://www.sculpturalarts.com/ I work with the guy who created this stuff and it adheares to almost anything. We have painted plastic pvc pipe and did not have a problem with it flaking off. Its a little bit expensive but you get what you pay for.

AARON

I'm lloking at using the HDPE for skidplates. I think usign it for body panel would look sort fo wack though. Alm. would be fine for body panels. And screw steel, way to heavy.

MrShoeBoy said:
Have you guys ever herd of Tough N' White Primer?http://www.sculpturalarts.com/ I work with the guy who created this stuff and it adheares to almost anything. We have painted plastic pvc pipe and did not have a problem with it flaking off. Its a little bit expensive but you get what you pay for.
AARON

A lot of paint will adhere to PVC including most all latexes even.

PE and PP are totally different breeds of plastic.

Back