• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel injector ?

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
ok i noticed that one of my injuctors was leaking though the elect conection. is it ok to change just one or do they all need to be changed out?

DON'T DRIVE IT WITH A LEAKING INJECTOR!

Remember, that's pretty much right over the exhaust manifold.

IIRC, you've got the older style Bendix injectors, and those are pretty famous for leaking as they get older. You probably want to consider just swapping all of them out.

i would change all of them since the others will probably leak some time down the road. also because its not much more work to change them all since you will need to take the fuel rail off to get to the one you want to replace. i would get a set of ford 19lbs injectors from jegs or summit. you can get a set of 8 for around $220 and have 2 spare injectors and o-rings.

Yes, take the vehicle out of service and fix the problem. As others have said the factory injectors had a leak problem, been surpised there has not been a recall on our XJs because of the problem.

I was not as bold as others when it came to injectors. I installed the listed replacement injectors for my XJ instead of using the ford mustang injectors. When I did mine 2 years ago I found the best price at www.rockauto.com. Check around you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

The injectors for our XJs were not used on many vehicles that why they are expensive. I paid in the low $50s for each injector.

If you are pulling off the fuel rail then it might be smart money to replace the fuel pressure regualtor, you know just renew everything.

You will see these plastic ears sticking out of the couplings. Those are one time use connectors so you will have to replace them. They are a dealer only item and run $15 each. You get the plastic ear thing, 2 o-rings, and a spacer ring. They give you a tool to install the new coupling. When you go to your dealer ask for "a fuel line coupling repair kit".

You will install one kit into the new regulator and the other one into the supply hose coupling which attaches to the rear portion of the fuel rail. You will have to buy a minimum of 2. If you want to renew all the couplings then you may need 4 or 5 I forget. I only renewed the couplings I took apart.

They use to sell O ring sets with differnt O rings. The factory set came with 13 O rings. You used 6 of the one color on the tips of the injectors since they were designed for the head of the intake manifold. The question was what to do with the 7 other color O rings. You used 6 on the top of the injector which slid into the fuel rail and the 7th you used on the pressure regulator where it slid into the fuel rail.

My aftermaket set came with only 12 O rings, all the same. Over the years they have improved O ring materials so the O ring can be used on either end of the injector.

It is an easy job, take you time, lube up the injectors with oil or petrolium jelly before you install them. The biggest problem is removing the electrical connectors form your old injectors. You may want to mark the wire so you get the right wire back on the right injector.

thanks for info i just niticed it last night when i was checking my tps. thank god its not a dd.

did you notice any gains/losses in changing them out? and what year xj did you put them in

5.0 Motorsports

I also did the Mustang takeouts about a month ago. The engine runs smoother than it did. Hard to say if it is the placebo effect but I could swear that throttle response is better. The Mustang injectors are rated for the same flowrate as OEM but they have 4 smaller orifices instead of the one larger orifice in the OEM. Maybe better fuel atomization? The wire connections and the fuel connections all work without modification. The injectors come with the o-rings. I'm happy.

I guess I'll have to go against the grain... My injectors are slowly failing (springing leaks) one by one. I replace each one as it fails. Over the last 3 years I've replaced 3. My advice? If they ain't broke don't fix them.

well not enough money for all 6(sons medical bills :eek: ). found a rebuilt one from auto zone for 45 bucks so no more fuel leaks. i think next summer i'll take the manafold off and clean the crap out of it and hope to have money for the injectors. thanks for the info.:)

Back