• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping guage clusters

MUDTRUK

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 MJ and would like to swap out the idiot light guage cluster for the mechanical cluster. Which year range of clusters should I be looking for, I have the electronic speedo. thanks, Judd

Well, you don't want any from 84-86. If I read your post correctly, you are saying that your cluster just has an electronic plug on the back, not a cable of any sort, right? If so, then you need to look for 91-96 clusters, and it should be a direct swap. Just make sure all the connections are the same in the back. You will also need to replace your coolant sensor and oil pressure sensor. You can get these at a Napa for not too much. HTH

Hopefully someone will chime in if I forgot anything.

Fergie

'91 thru '95 should be safe. '96 looks the same, but that was the year they went to OBD-II and I don't know if that affected the instrument cluster wiring.

I had an 87 piece that I upgraded to. When I pulled that rig apart, I was able to adapt the 1987 part to the new 1986 Comanche dash . I used the 1986 clip to hold the cable in. Works great, so far.

Back