• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stick to auto

triple 4

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 short box MJ that I would like to put and auto in it. But I'm not to sure what I would have to do. It has a 4.0, the great france trans, and a killer 231. I want to keep the 231 and the 4.0 but get rid of the trans, and put and auto in it. I heard that the AW4 is a good one, but where can I find it, out of what year, and how will I know if it is and AW4? All the information will help! THANKS

The AW4 is a four-speed box found in 87-up XJ behind the 4.0. Pretty easy to spot - it's also the only light-duty automatic transmission that has an OEM drain plug. The sump pan is a regular rectangle, and has "Aisin" cast into the side in at least one place. I have one torn to bits in the garage, when I get a chance I'll take a look at the case and give you more ID tips.

The 2WD and 4WD versions are different - the tailshaft is different and the tailshaft housings are different, so watch for that. There are two different outputs as well - check www.advanceadapters.com for more info, as I know they have drawings there that are quite good.

If the output is different, the input on the NP231 can be swapped, relatively easily as I recall.

If you do the swap, I'd be interested in the clutch pedal and linkage, so let me know.

Also - make sure you get the TCU, and you will probably want the TPS from the donor (or get a replacement from OEMR) and the associated harness, as there is a significant different (the AT TCU for Renix does double duty, and has two outputs...)

5-90

Hey 444, I did this swap in my 89 XJ about 3 years ago........the are several "must do's" with this swap, as well as options. I have a good source for donor AW4 tranny's too. BTW, I sold my Pewgoat 5 speed for $400......guy that bought it was ready to pay almost $800+shipping for one in AZ.

I'll shoot you some more info on this later today........ I live in So Ogden, may see you on Saturday for the run up PC?

Back