• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which '97 - '01 trim levels came with NP231? What about non-ABS?

royta

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in the market for a '97 - '01 XJ. Proably just a '97 - '99, but I'd still like to know about the '00 and '01.

Specs desired are 4.0L, auto, NP231 (selec-trac), no ABS, and preferrably an 8.25 rear end.

The trim levels I am open to are Sport, Country ('97), Classic, Limited, and 60th Anniv Ed ('01). That is, if the 60th doesn't look like the '00 Freedom. By the way, does it?

I want to know if the Classic, Limited, and '01 60th Anniv Ed. were able to be ordered with the specs I mentioned above. I already know the Sport was. I'd rather not waste my time driving to look at a Classic or Limited if they were only available with ABS or a NP242.

Thanks.

Roy

Last edited:
8.25 means no ABS, so you should be good on that count. The rest of those options were pretty available on any trim level if I recall...

Yeah, I know how to find ABS, or the lack thereof. If a Classic or Limited only came from the factory with ABS, than I don't want a Classic. So did they?

Oh, so pulling the fuse also removes all of the hydraulic crap that is involved with ABS? (sarcasm)

Let's say the Classic and Limited were able to be ordered WITHOUT ABS and/or a NP242, what are the chances that somebody actually ordered one without them. It would definitely be a lot harder to find a Classic or Limited WITHOUT them, if 90% of the Classics or Limiteds were ordered WITH them.

Please help.

Roy

I have a 00 Classic that has 8.25, No ABS, but it does not have selc-trac. I think you will just have to look around untill you find one that suits your needs.

seanR said:
I have a 00 Classic that has 8.25, No ABS, but it does not have selc-trac. I think you will just have to look around untill you find one that suits your needs.

Well, that's good. I'm happy to see that I can at least have a Classic AND not have ABS or a Selec-Trac. Now to see if a Limited is available that way also.

At least for 2000, ABS was optional on the Limited, and Selec-Trac was standard.

royta said:
I'm in the market for a '97 - '01 XJ. Proably just a '97 - '99, but I'd still like to know about the '00 and '01.

Specs desired are 4.0L, auto, NP231 (selec-trac), no ABS, and preferrably an 8.25 rear end.
Roy

just to clarify, selec-trac is a NP242 (full time 4wd) NP231 is only part time.

My DD is a 98 Classic, and it is the NP231 (non full-time), and the 8.25 axle so I am sure anything goes as far as driveline, mainly the model designations referred to interior trim and cosmetic details....

Re: Re: Which '97 - '01 trim levels came with NP231? What about non-ABS?

sbxj said:
just to clarify, selec-trac is a NP242 (full time 4wd) NP231 is only part time.

Oops. I definitely know the difference but typed the wrong thing.

Eagle said:
At least for 2000, ABS was optional on the Limited, and Selec-Trac was standard.

That's what I was afraid of. Even if you could downgrade the Limited to only have Command-Trac, the chances of someone doing that are slim. I guess I could always luck out.

What's the problem? Essentially the only difference between a Classic and a Limited is leather seats, and they're not that great for trail use anyway. They are hot, and slippery. Go for a Classic or an optioned-out Sport.

I drive around all day in an '00 sport, 4.0 auto, not sure on the axle, im too lazy to figure it out. It has the NP231. Basically, if i could build it i would. Its got all the nice ooptions you could want, but none of the stuff that could get hairy on the trail. So if i were you, id look for an optioned sport, probably easier to find.

Sounds good. I'll look for a Classic or optioned out Sport. You're right about the leather seats. I'll more than likely be wearing shorts when I'm running trails. I'll slip the coveralls on if I have to do any dirty work.

Thanks.

Roy

new question about ABS

Half of these dealers (sales people) don't where to put gas in the car, let alone whether or not the Jeep does or does not have ABS. At least the Chysler dealers can run a build sheet. From the pictures I have seen, the vehicles with ABS have extra hydraulics to the drivers side of the master cylinder. Are ALL '97 - '01 XJ's this way? This would be great because I can then have their service department verify for me. I'd hate to fly or drive to AZ and find out the dealer "misinformed" me about the ABS.

Thanks.

Roy

Back