• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 aluminum axles

TiRod

NAXJA Forum User
Wait a minute while I get the nomex suspenders up . . .

I searched, I learned, I wanna know what kind of aluminum the GC axle is cast from. I wanna know what the torsional and axial deflections are at rated loads. I wanna know what the overall width and springpad widths are. I wanna know if the factory says don't jack it under the differential in black and white. That's a lot, but I can't find it.

I know its an odd duck, bearing caps are different, and few lockers yet. But it is a D44, used behind the 5.9, same center as the Viper, and 4.10's are available. I know the factory jammed the axle tubes in and the pre load may be off. I know it's got a lot of bad press on a lot of forums, and I know there's really very few facts, and a lot of opinion.

I want facts. Those of us who want 44's in our XJ's may not ever go crushing rocks, and this might be a viable and cheap solution. Hey, some got discs on them factory.

I ask for the low budget family four wheelers.

:angel: :angel:

Here's a positive comment for you. The Pheonix gear development (no idea about the name) is very strong, and addresses a common problem of hard core 44 use: pinion breakage.

The PGD diff uses a D-60 sized pinion shaft, so it is very stout.

CRASH

Don't know about alloy or your other questions, but I can verify that the FSM states "in black and white" not to jack under the center section. Typical Chrysler, it does NOT say this on the owner's manual.

I had a '99 WJ. You don't want to do what you're considering. Operative term was "HAD" a '99 WJ.

Thanks, Crash. I take it that it retrofits a D60 sized pinion by using different bearings or machining? Google was not helping find phoenix - or I didn't know what I was looking at.

My interest is to see if this axle can do a better job than the 35. I doubt it would be a crawler, but for the DD and vacationer, it looks like it could work, given it's limits. Some run big tires on 30/35's with no breakage, how far will these go?

why not grab an 8.25 out of a later XJ? No fussing with brackets and such

Thanks, Eagle. Haven't heard your "had a WJ" story. Search won't pick up "WJ" - too short -

I appreciate your concern to avoid a bad choice. With thousands of these on the road, I'm curious if any TSB's are out on them, or recalls. Putting one in an XJ will look like a good deal to quite a few more in later years, and they will need a specific reason to avoid them. It would seem the XJ would stress it less than the bigger Jeeps, leaving a cushion for larger tires.

Just like my kids - "But why can't I?"

There are some reasons: Steel axle tube in al casting = corrosion.
Different internals = few build up parts. Al diff casting = more gear breakage due to flex (?)

Of course there are answers to that too - even the big diff's get trussed.

Just trying to nail it down - like the "do not jack" - that's serious.

Most of my bright ideas don't work. Old enough I'm used to it.

a 29 spline 8.25 is marginally weaker than a D44 and like I said already setup for your springs... Aluminum doesn't rust but it does indeed corrode...ask any Rover nut.

The one big thing your forgeting or just not mentioning is that these are all coil sprung axles. Lots of time in fabrictaion and grinding to make it leaf. Probably a bitch to weld on. And, GC rear ends are notorius for having gear problems. To the point that they really aren't fixable. How do you know? You ask.
I to had a 99" WJ. Heres a little list of thing I replaced, in the 8 months I had it.

Starter
Alternator
Passinger Hub
Passenger heated seat unit
Dealer reset cpu 3 times
front and rear differentals
rear twice
transfer case burned up, still worked in 2wd so didn't fix it. 2000.00 if i did.
the last 2 weeks i had it it died intermitantly for 2 weeks.

then i sold it.
took a 10000.00 hit.
and im broke for about 3 years because of it.

csudman said:
The one big thing your forgeting or just not mentioning is that these are all coil sprung axles. Lots of time in fabrictaion and grinding to make it leaf. Probably a bitch to weld on. And, GC rear ends are notorius for having gear problems. To the point that they really aren't fixable. How do you know? You ask.
I to had a 99" WJ. Heres a little list of thing I replaced, in the 8 months I had it.

Starter
Alternator
Passinger Hub
Passenger heated seat unit
Dealer reset cpu 3 times
front and rear differentals
rear twice
transfer case burned up, still worked in 2wd so didn't fix it. 2000.00 if i did.
the last 2 weeks i had it it died intermitantly for 2 weeks.

then i sold it.
took a 10000.00 hit.
and im broke for about 3 years because of it.

Sounds like a clone of my story. My rear axle was finally rebuilt by a FACTORY tech, who was flown in to work on my WJ for a week. Came back with everything he touched (especially the rear diff) worse than before he started.

In the immortal words of Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "RUN AWAY!"

eagle, shouldn't you be driving? :)

TOZOVR said:
a 29 spline 8.25 is marginally weaker than a D44
Here goes, If a 29 spline 8.25 is marginally weaker than a D44, How does a 27 spline 8.25 compare to a 29 spline 8.25 and a D35, in terms of strength?

:eek:

So, I don't need to worry about the spring pad dimension any more . . .

'Nuff said. Thanks - apologies for any resurrected heartburn.

:anon:

Last edited:
TiRod said:
:eek:

So, I don't need to worry about the spring pad dimension any more . . .

'Nuff said. Thanks - apologies for any resurrected heartburn.

:anon:

Yeah thanks man, I have to deal with Eagle all weakend!!!!:D

Back