• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put an end to the 2 inch and 31 argument

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
Hopefully the photos I finally got uploaded from a while ago, will put an end to the 2inch lift and 31 inch tire agrument. This is exactly 2 inches of lift, the swaybars are on both front and rear at this time.

http://community.webshots.com/user/xjmojo

give it like 10 minutes to update my community album....

Yeah it's my DD, I did the paint and put the sport decails on...I wanted that dark ass grey cuz nothign like it on road and it doesn't show scratches half as bad as say .....black. It cost me 130 to paint the vehicle, no i didnt' use spray cans, i just used my uncles gun he used to do muscle cars with back in the day, and just took my time...turned out good. if anyone in central ny, looking for a couple coats i'd be glad to come help...i figured for a 19 year old it's damn good. I'll post the pics of what it looked like exactly after I painted it...mmmm...the 31's and mileage...I think I only took a hit of like 1 or 2 mpg..on the highway and in the city prob 3 or 4....that's what it seems I dont 'care to much to watch it that much. It has a nice 13 gallon tank!!!! HAAHAHAAHA

thanks for comment

OHHH and the pics I want people to see haven't been uploaded to my communitry folder yet....I'm waiting impatiently and getting more and more frustrated, I wanted to show everyone the pics of the flex ...hence title of this post

I never stopped to look at a 97 and up...is there that much difference with the fenders? and the config?

Nice looking rig man.

But for the record, I could bolt 35" tires on my rig at 5.5" Lift and drive around with an ass-heap of bumpstop and two swaybars.

When I was running 31" Interco TrXus I rubbed with 4.5" of lift. On the bumper and on the rear endaps and flarers but it flexed like a BIOTCH before it would rub.

You can run whatever tire/lift combo you can dream up almost...but will it do as well off-road as a well balanced lift/tire combo?

When guys here say this will or won't work, they're generally referring to the most well rounded solution for a workable rig, know what I mean?

Like I said though, great lookin ride...wish my rig looked like that when I was 19!!! MY FJ40 was rust holding hands LOL!

RJ

In joining or re-opening this argument, most people conveniently forget that a critical factor is what rims you run. Ed Stevens has showed that if you run stock rims you can run 31x10.50/15 tires with NO lift, if you just use taller rear bump stops. Change to aftermarket rims with less backspacing, and you start carving the tires into the fenders and/or flares.

Yes, the rear wheel arches on the '97+ seem to be smaller, or the axles are a fraction farther to the rear, but there is more of a problem on the '97+.

Ed knows his stuff and does his homework. In general, if he says it you can take it to the bank.

Not sure on which page he discusses this, but:

http://members.aol.com/Stvns/XJhelp1.html

Eagle is right, but again, will it articulate at all?

Flex is not the end all, be all of wheeling...but it has to start somewhere.

I run Mickey 15x8 with 4.5-4.75" of BS(don't remeber what it is exactly) and 31" Dirt Grips. They measured a tad over 31" with the tape.

They did not fit with no lift.

With a 2" BB, trimming the extra lip off the fenders and the sway bar off the front caught the metal and crumpled it up.

well... as it was mentioned... you can put it on, and it looks good, the only question is what you are going to do with it and how much :) IMHO if you're happy it's good, but beware that on a trail you might run into trouble. I had about 3.5" which is sagging in the front with mild trimming and 31" and when I compressed and turned I grabbed the fender with the tire and pulled it in and bent it up like crazy. Now I have the same ol' sagging 3.5" in the front with a LOT of trimming and I ran 33" tires at Moab.... and the only thing that happened is that I rubbed up in the fender more then I rub with 31".... I do run stock rims still, but the way I look at the arc and how things work, I would still rub with rims that pushed it further out, just in a slightly different spot. I know that I can limit my uptravel with bumpstops, but I like the compression that I get at this moment........ anyways so couple extra inches (about 1 to 2) and I should be fine with 33"

So what I'm trying to say and quite a few others said, yes it is possible, but on a trail it'd be kind of bad :( unless you didn't disconnect... and well...... it's not too exciting sometimes to be still connected and on the trail: From what I remember an anonymous person at moab was connected on a trail because of brakeline lengths and after coming back from the trail, that person replaced the brakelines so that the disconnection could take place :D (I think I got the details right)

CUxj88,

You said your jeep has 2" over stock but in your sig. it says you have 3" of lift? Did it settle?

BTW, looks great!

31x10.5s

97 4dr up country stock wheels and no lift.
Firestone Destination MTs (awesome tires) measure 31 inches tall on the Jeep.
Minor trimming on left front bumper end cap, rolled quarter seam over on rear of the wheel wells.

Went to Colorado Springs area when they were one week old. Had left front tire at least a foot of the ground at one point. Went on a trail that had lots of rocks. Put scrape on Gas Tank skid, Pushed tie bar up untill it hit my steering damper and dented my front skidplate.

Do they rub?

Yes, the most they limit my articulation is when the rears rub on the inside of my quarter panels.

Did it affect my performance? No!!

first day had half tank of gas and jeep full of wedding gifts, second day unloaded the gifts but had 100lbs of dogs in the far back ran half tank of gas again.

Jeep went everywhere I asked it to, even when I was starting to wonder if I would make it out of one trail, and my wife was telling me "I told you not to go down this one", The XJ kept crawling on.

Recomendations:

Watch the full lock in the parking lots
Load your Jeep intelligently...eg, dont put all the heavy stuff in the rear if you can help it, load the rear seat area first. I also run a long cargo box on the top and load that evenly.
Definately roll the seam on the quarters or they will play hell on your tires.
Live with the occasional growling and have fun :)
Joel

a have 3 in of lift and my 31 in swampers look like they went through a chipper they rub so bad when i flex it but i have never rubed when on the road;)

maineiac said:
a have 3 in of lift and my 31 in swampers look like they went through a chipper they rub so bad when i flex it but i have never rubed when on the road;)

But once again, what's the backspacing on your rims? Without this information, all discussion is useless. If I run stock tires on rims with 3.75" backspacing, soft shocks, and don't extend the bump stops, I can make those rub if I disconnect the sway bars off-road. Tire size alone is only one factor in this issue. You cannot ignore rim backspacing and width, or bump stop length/height.

Back