• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" or 10" brakes??

KLXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Newbie here, was trying to replace my rear brake cylinders and needed to order some brake parts, apparently there is a 9" or 10" brakes used for our XJs

My vehicle specs:

1994 XJ 4.0l with a Chrysler 8.25 no ABS.

Is mine a 9" or 10"? What do I measure?

Thanks

Best way it to remove a back wheel and then pull off the brake drum. Measure the inside diameter of the drum, you know the surface the shoes brake against. Also on the outside of the drum, somewhere on the face you see when it installed will be cast into it "max dia 10.030" or something like that.

From this Max diameter you can figure out if it a 9 or 10 inch drum. they only allow 0.030 or 0.060 inches to be cut off the diameter. That why it is cast into each drum so there is no question when the guy at the lathe turning it says "it out of limits".

I am sure you know this but 2.54 cm = 1.00 inch. You just need to figure out if you have a 25.4 cm diameter drum or a 22.9 cm drum.

Last edited:
you will need to measure the brake drum Inside Diameter(across the inside with the drum turned face down) as well as the width of the drum(how deep it is..) you will most likely have a 9" X 2" drum..
mike

AMC XJs had 10" x 1.75" drums, except those with Dana 44 axles gor 10" x 2.5". Chrysler changed to 9" x 2.5" in '90 or '91. Yours should be 9" if it is original.

Back