• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dying battery replaced with red top

RichP

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed on my trip home from philly last nite that the engine was starting up a bit slower than normal on my 98's original battery. I actually noticed that over the past week or so since it cooled off here. So I broke down today and picked up a new red top optima for $109 at autozone. They installed it for $5 which was worth it for not having to make the trip back to drop off the old one. Pretty complete work cart they had too, contact cleaner to clean off the old lugs, that sealer stuff for spraying on after you get it together. Turned over a mite slow the first few times but now that it has had a chance to charge up it's acting really spiffy now. I also checked my alternator to make sure that wasn't going bad but almost 6 years out of the original was pretty good I'm thinking as I have never had a factory battery last that long. The original wrap around insulation pad also fit back on too. Noticed the CCA on the RT was 250 bigger than the OEM. Only downside is that now that I spent the bucks I wonder if I should have gotten the yellowtop at $135, decisions decisions, oh well.

I have a red top and I love it, The best part is I moved it to the rear to make room for my remote oil and trans filter. And I have never heard of Auto zone charging, sounds like the guy putit is his pocket unless you got a reciept.

Hey - it was only $5 and they guy cleaned everything up for him - so what the hey - perhaps he needed beer money.

I also bought the 'yellow' top version and wondered if I should have went for the deep cycle. One thing stopped me. The regular duy I think has more CCA than the deep cycle. So in our cold climates [I have had to start an engine at 30 below F], I want all the stuff I can get.

They did not charge me to install, darn, going to have to go back and tip the guy. Figure a little 'positive reinforcement' can't hurt any.

Back