• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Migration to xjla?

Tucker

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a call pending with RE, but they're busy so I thought I'd ask here. I'm real tired of waiting for the RE6300 xjla kit, and even more tired of being told its availability is imminent. So...

Is it possible to install the RE6200 5.5" short arm kit and have a relatively painless migration to the long arm kit? What are the specific component differences? As I understand it the RE6200 kit is bolt-on, and some of the RE6300 is weld-on ... so far so good, it would seem, for a migration. What's the real deal, anybody know?

TIA!

If you go to the RE web site, you can look at the kits and they will show you what components are in each one. I did that by opening up the component lists next to each other in seperate windows to compare what each had in them. All of the components are listed by part number and many of them share the same parts.

I'm not seeing that for the RE6300 ... most others, but not that one. Am I missing it somehow? That was one of the main reasons for my call to RE, to get those specifics.

The main differences IIRC are that the 5.5 short-arm kit comes with drop brackets and short arms, and the long-arm kit comes with long arms and a replacement crossmember. So to upgrade later you'd just have to sell the drop brackets and the LCA's and buy the new crossmember and the long arms. I don't remember if the UCA's on the short-arm kit are the same that are used on the XJLA, that would be one other thing to check.

I just got off the phone with RE and was told the kit is 100% bolt on and should be ready to ship in 30 days. I guess we will see how true that really is when I call them next month :D

I am still not to sure why everyone is going nuts over this RE LA kit. From what I have seen from it (pictures only) there are better kits from guys like Clayton or Carolina Rock Shop.

-Scott

No probs Sean, thanks for helping!

Scott -- In my case its partly brand loyalty and partly vicarious experience from folks who've installed the other kits. I've used RE kits and components on pickups and they've always held up well and were easy to install. That sentiment also seems to be the consensus among XJ drivers here so my feelings are reinforced by that. I don't have experience with the other manufacturers so I have to rely on what others have said here and on other Jeep forums. My research leads me to believe that the RE kit is best for my Jeep. Of course, your mileage may vary :)

Back