• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help!! can't get the D60 pinion/yoke to seal up

woodkrawler

NAXJA Forum User
when i did the d60 swap in June 03' i did gears too and of course changed the pinion seal. it proceeded to lead around the seal all summer, just oozing. so i finally got around to buying a $13.00 seal the other day from napa to try and fix it. but now after the seal replacement it continues to leak as bad or worse. its coming from the center of the seal where the rubber rides against the Yoke. only thing i can think of is the Yoke is worn out and won't seal against the rubber. when i pulled the yoke the other day to change the seal i noticed it had a grove in it right where the rubber rides. thats the only thing i can figure out.

its not that big of a deal but it is slinging gear oil all over everything under there and i would prefer to get it fixed before i drive 5.5 hours to tellico next weekend.

Any ideas other than getting a new yoke?

anybody got a used d60 yoke lying around??

thanx
lincoln

Lincoln, you've got your own question answered. If there's a groove there, it's worn. Go buy a $30 yoke and put it in with another new seal. You are lubin' the seal up before you put it in, right?

Sean

onetonxj,

sweet, i just wanted to make sure thats what it was before i dropped the $30.00.

when you say lubin the seal you just mean putting some gear oil on it, around the rim and rubber part, before tapping it in, right?

where you finding the Yokes for $30.00 or wheres the best place to get them, for a 1350 joint.

thanx
lincoln

if the grove is not too deep you can polish it out with emery cloth I did this on two that had grooves that you could feel with your finger worked just fine

try tom woods or high angle driveline. I usually use a moly lube so that it doesn't leak off if I get sidetracked and don't put it in right away. I just threw $30 out there, but I'm pretty sure it's pretty accurate. You can call out spobi if you find out differently. You could spend $150+ if you have it welded and reground :D

Sean

Back