• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For your Gear Gurus

MrShoeBoy

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done installing a set of 4.10s and an ARB in the rear of my Ford 8.8. The set up went smoothly and the pattern looked ok but not super great. The pattern had a shape simmilar to a half moon but it seemed more round at the bottom but nothing like an oval that it should look like. The whine starts on accerlation and when crusing. There is little to no noise on deceleration. Can somebody look or post the pictures I took of the gear pattern? I have a few photos of the drive and coast side showing the pattern.

Thank you in advance,

AARON

Good gear patterns will vary from axle to axle. Generally speaking your pattern should be rectangular and cover the bottom two thirds of the tooth. If your pattern is a "half moon" with the wide park of the pattern away from the center of the gear it is flanked out. If the "half moon" is facing towards the center of the gear it is flanked in. Patterns that are noticeably flanked in or out will "whine". Patterns that are flanked out are weaker and Patterns that are flanked in tend to generate excessive heat. The severity of a flanked in or out condition is based off square.

[] is a 0

l\
l/ is a 10

0-2 flanked in and 0-1 flanked out is good. 2-3 flanked in and 1-2 flanked out is acceptable. After that they get loud :D

Hope this makes sense and answers your ? if not I'll respond after I get a little sleep
Walter B.

THanks B

Thats a start on what I need to be looking for.

AARON

Back