• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Valve noise has moved to power steering pump

t bell

NAXJA Forum User
I suspected it was valve noise but it started making this real loud sound the other day coming from what seems to be the power steering pump. The next day, no sound at all. Could it be the pump? It's got 190K.

My '90 was making (intermittently) strange noises from the front of the engine. I initially thought it was the PS pump, but after about a week the belt tensioner bearing piled up, totally seized! Fortunately it happened about two blocks from home. Best way to pinpoint noises is with one of those inexpensive automotive stethoscopes, they're great!

Or a screwdriver or an old pushrod...

Seriously - have you checked everything up front with a bearing in it? May want to pull the belt and turn things by hand just to check - side-load them in the direction the belt pushes/pulls them, and turn them easily and centred.

Nice thing about power steering pumps - beginnings of failure are usually accompanied by fluctuations in the power steering itself... I wonder how much longer my pump is going to last?

5-90

I have a noise also...need to track it down. I thought it was the power steering pump but the steering is jsut fine. Damn noise.

I have a 98 Sport and it started making the same kinda noise.

It turned out to be the power steering pump. Once replaced (with a new one!!!!!) the noise was eliminated.

I'd check that out. If it fails on you, you'll have issues.

Back