• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel '89 cherokee non-tilt

gman

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to obtain literature regarding the parts inside this steering wheel. My jeep's key is unable to turn to the start position. Initially I was told it was a faulty ignition tumbler, I purchased and replaced that. However I am still having the same problem. The key still isn't been able to start the key. However my friend who is helping me told me he believes it is SOME teeth that are broken, he also said he is able to touch something with a screw-driver, and this would enable it to turn to the positon that would enable it to start. Some speedy help would be greatly appreciated.

Check Out

Check the ignition switch.
It's located on top of the steering column.You will have to remove
the lower portion of the dash,maybe 6 or 7 screws,not sure.There are 4 bolts that hold the colomn up.
The ignition switch and the dimmer switch are in the same bracket,but can be removed seperately.
There is a small rod that activates the ignition sw,some times it can bind due to mialignment.IF the sw itself is toast,then that's your problem.
Both the ignition sw and the dimmer sw have molded plugs goin to them,and CANNOT be put in wrong.

Back