• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is the rear sway bar necessary?

dgoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Would I notice a difference in handeling if I disconnected the rear sway bar? It is a daily driver and family Jeep.

Many people on here will say it is not necessary. It's a fact that the factory did not install it on the XJs with the Up Country suspension, probably because they felt the stiffer springs would compensate for it adequately.

Your sig suggests that you have a modified suspension. What is "RC" -- Rough Country? What do you have in the rear, an add-a-leaf?

You wrote that your XJ is a daily driver and a "family Jeep." Does it go off-road? If so, is maximum articulation important to you, or do you just do moderate wheeling? I'll probably get flamed for this, but for a daily driver/family Jeep I recommend keeping it.

I recommend keeping it.

:flame: :D

Way back when I got my 1st xj, the Rough Country 3" w/AAL was my first lift. The first thing I remove dwas that little tooth pick of an anti-sway bar and I never noticed a difference. Personally, I think it was just something to add to the window sticker and bump up the price :) . I don't kow........... I say pull it.:)

Ditto what Eagle said...

If you never go offroad, leave it on - it does do something... just not much. If you ever go offroad though, pull it! Chances are you won't notice the difference on the road. Then again, the sucker is so small that it doesn't hurt THAT much off-road either. I can't imagine why you'd put a 3" lift on a pavement-only truck though.... so PULL IT!

If you NEVER go off road, leave it, it makes SLIGHTLY better handling. Otherwise, pull the sucker, you won't notice a difference, I never did, and mine is an on road daily driver more than off road, and I don't miss it. Don't worry about it.

I agree with Eagle. I experimented with and without it on my '98 with UC springs. Under very regular road driving is not that noticable not to have it, however, when cruising at 80 or more with the Jeep fully loaded it does really help. Have been tempted to remove or at least detach it since out here in Utah, but has not been needed yet. Nothing has stopped me so far with everything still hooked up and stiff. Just my experience-

You'll never achieve 1G without the rear swaybar attached.....you'll also need low profile tires...I'd also put a spoiler on the rear for a little down pressure....

It is a Rough Country system and I did get the new rear springs. I do off road in it but not much. I have the front sway bar disconnected until I get my new links and I noticed a lot of sway without those. I'm getting a clunking noise from the rear end when I hit bumps and I notice that the rear sway bar bushings are bad so I thing that is the problem. I think I'll pull it after I get the front one's hooked back up.

Back