• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dent in exhaust pipe?

Burley

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I was under the XJ looking for the rattle noise i posted earlier. While looking around I noticed a dent in the down pipe that connects to the header. The dent is right below the flang connecting the pipe to the header. Is this supposed to be there? It looks as if it is. If it isn't, then I think this may be a clue to where my noise is coming from.

Thanks guys!

Burley

Are you talking about the bend in the downpipe? If so, don't worry about it...

that dent is supposed to be there for driveshaft clearance at full stuff.

I had the same "crushed" look to my downtube, right below the header flange. It freaked me out after I installed a Banks header, so I had a muffler shop custom make me a downpipe with smooth bends. Flows very nice now. Might be over pararnoid, but mine seemed so crushed that my 2 1/4" pipe looked like a 1 1/2" pipe and I assumed that it was restricting exhaust flow.

same thing happened to my and my wifes xjs. Looks like the front drive shafts been chewing the pipe a bit, finally cut a chunk out of the wifes. I just lifted mine more.

Back