• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Small Block Chevy Swap Questions

90red

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Here I go:

I have 90 XJ 4.0 and I am going to be swapping in a 350 w/700R4. Non-Fuel Injected with an HEI distributor. What kind of modifications am I going to need to make. I know that I will have to get new motor mounts, do some drive shaft work, and move the trans. crossmember. My questions are:

1. First off, is there a web site that has information on how to do the swap? If not then:

2. Where can I get the motor mounts for the swap?

3. What kind of driveshaft work will need to be done?

4. How will the Jeep ignition work w/the 350?

5. How can I hook up all of the stock in dash guages to the 350? The temp, fuel, tach, mph, and volts. I would like to be able to use the stock guages and not butcher the dash.

6. Will the XJ speedo cable hook up to the 700R4?

7. I will only need one fuel line. How can I modify the existing fuel line to work with a carbuerated engine and how can I disable the return line?

8. I bought a new radiator from Advanced and its a 3 row aftermarket radiator. Will this be enough to cool the 350? Its not going to be a radical motor. It will be around 300 hp/300 lb.-ft.

9. What kind of modifications will I need to make to get the A/C to work? Will I need to use the Jeep compressor, or the GM compressor? If GM, how will I adapt the lines to work with the rest of the Jeep A/C set up? If Jeep, how will I mount the compressor to the 350?

I know this is a long post, but I cant find any other place that has the knowledge that you guys do. Thanks for all of your help guys. I really appreciate it.

90red

No there isnt a specific step by step website for it
Lot of custom work.

Motor Mounts AA or Novak-Conversions

Driveshaft work will depend on the amount of lift. Get them made when everything else is done so you dont do it twice.

Jeep Ignition? All of that goes. You will need a Heavy Duty Ford Style Solenoid or something similar.

Tach and temp are the only Gauges that wont work 100%. Keep you stock fuel sender. and voltage is voltage. Speedo is off the TC.

Block the return line. EZ

Your motor will prob run hot with that Radiator. Most people that convert XJs have some sort of cooling issues. Use Aftermarket Trans cooler also.

If you want to retain AC, your best off doing a GM unit from a Older truck. Room is going to be tight tho.

Also: Watch hood Clearance with carbs and big cleaners. Do a remote oil filter as to avoid damge from the front Driveshaft.
Oil pan will be close to trackbar and front axle. Run a new fuel line from the back all the way up.
Exhaust can com from AA or use Rams Horns Manifolds. Hear/Tell Impala SS headers will work but if your heads/block are 1986 and older, they wont work without mods.
It gets expensive and frustrating if your not creative
youll need a conversion for your Transfer Case Also.
Jeep%20Back%20Low.JPG

\\Hoot

HUMMER_BANNER_H2.jpg

Back