• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Hesitates On Acceleration

kg45777

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 XJ with the 4.0 and every once in a while, although it is becoming more frequent, I will go to give it gas and it will not accelerate. No matter how hard I push the gas the rpm's dont go up and it just feels like it isn't getting anything. If I let off and then feather it a little it will respond and go as normal(almost) and if I keep my foot off the gas the RPM's dip, but it hasn't stalled on me...yet. I have cleaned the injectors, so I am guessing fuel pump or filter...any help would appreciated!
Thanks Fellas,
Kyle

Have you cleaned the throttle body?

My 96 was doing the same thing intermittently. It eventually got bad enough that sometimes it would detonate and not run. I changed the fuel filter with no improvement. I determined it to be the fuel pump/regulator. I would recommend staying away from aftermarket fuel pumps and only install the OEM module. For the 96, Chysler offers a remanufactured pump at less than 1/2 of new. ($235 vs $494). I learned the hard way, when my pump finally failed, I installed a Carter (replacement pump only) at $200+ and had the same issues....therefore the regulator (96's are in the tank w/pump) must have gone bad too (or possilby caused the pump to go?). So to make a long story short I installed the OEM remanf module. Unfortunately, the dealer did not offer that option to me at first, otherwise I would have skipped the whole after market thing...hope this helps. By the way no codes are thrown for this problem...vs a bad sensor, and I had already gone thru and checked and cleaned grounds hoping to find a cause for the intermittent nature of the problem. I finally did a fuel pressure check and found the pressure dropping when the problem came to life.

Back