• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dna 44 axle tubing

Nik

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a 78-79 ford 44 and know it has cast tubing with radius arms. How much dough does it cost to retube the axle. I s it worth going radius arms? I know it sounds nice.
I have RE drop brackets, Rusty's adjustable arms, and a XJ steering conversion. I thought maybe if I sold all of these I might be able to go radius arms DUE TO MONEY. It would be a lot nicer ride. If retubing is too much I'm thinking of selling these parts and going to radius arms. Does anybody make a kit or do I have to have fab them up. Also give me a good ballpark Question on how much it would cost me.

Thank

Nik

Also . . . All of my parts are barely used and I could get a a good amount of money for them. I'm liking the radius arm setup. If anybody could fab up a good set for me I would pay em.

It doesnt have "cast tubing",it has "cast" radius arm mounts!

about 210.00 to retube from currie. If you can't fab your own mounts and arms this is an expensive axle to build up. Currie wants 499.00 to weld mounts on. Sounds like allot till you start
spending time doing it yourself. If you don't do your own welding and fab work start saving now.

Find a GOOD local welding/fab shop, the brothers out there need all the $$$ they can get.

Tubing is cheap, probably about $60 worth. Cut the old tubes out yourself, cut off the knuckles and have the welding shop put it all back together right with the tubing. Get some .250 wall or better and you'll have a good strong custom axle. You gotta build control arm mounts anyway.....

just take the radius arms off the ford and mount them to your frame rail, then you are done with it. If I remember right you have like 14" of lift, so you might have to lengthen them.

P.S. did you ever trim those fenders? I'm not trying to be an ass, I'm just curious. You really needed to in the pics you posted a while back.

That front end is one of the easiest axles to narrow if you want to narrow it, but this only applies if you're going to keep the ford radius arm mounts. If you want to adapt a high pinion 44 to your rig without the ford style arms than you're better off with one out of an F250 that have leaf spring mounts welded on. The other option would be a low pinion 44 out of a waggoneer. Good luck

Matt

I will have new pics soon with the fender cutting. I dont want to shorten the axle. I think I am going to try to figure out how to lengthen the radius arms and then weld brackets to my frame rail. One other question . . How do the coild pads fit under there . . are they way too wide or am i gonna be ok or end up tearing them off and welding new ones. Thanks.

Nik

Call Mike at Bent and twisted
he has a cool extended kit with a 1" heim
not too bad in price either.
He's Pro Radius too so he wont try to talk you into a 2" DOM custom 4-link with bypass and coilovers :D

See Nik, I told you Matt was the guy to ask. :)

well farmer matt definantly know what he is doing:) I am checking out the bent and twisted set also.

so bringing this back..
so basically I can buy a 79 D44 cut the knuckles off have it retubed to about 60" get some custom axles and the weld my brackets for my long arms and my coil perches and TB on to the new tube and Im good to go??
Im really not intrested in C bushings..

I just had a front housing retubed over at Currie. They knock the old tubes out, cut the knuckes off, set it to Jeep specs with 3/8" wall DOM and weld it all back together. then they add a 1/2" gusset on the lower edge of the knuckles. And then they media blast it, clean it and your good to go.
however I do suggest going slightly wider than 60". then you can use an off the shelf inner shaft instead of having custom inners cut... and when I say slightly wider I mean like 1/2" or something like that, I forget...
VegasAnthony said:
so bringing this back..
so basically I can buy a 79 D44 cut the knuckles off have it retubed to about 60" get some custom axles and the weld my brackets for my long arms and my coil perches and TB on to the new tube and Im good to go??
Im really not intrested in C bushings..

Rawbrown said:
I just had a front housing retubed over at Currie. They knock the old tubes out, cut the knuckes off, set it to Jeep specs with 3/8" wall DOM and weld it all back together. then they add a 1/2" gusset on the lower edge of the knuckles. And then they media blast it, clean it and your good to go.
however I do suggest going slightly wider than 60". then you can use an off the shelf inner shaft instead of having custom inners cut... and when I say slightly wider I mean like 1/2" or something like that, I forget...
how much did it cost?

Matt, are you saying you can cut down a F150 axle to Waggy (61ish) width without having to mess with the radius arm mounts? one of these years I'll go back to coils up front and that sounds like a good/easy way...

$250
keep in mind though that the bracketry is what will cost even more.
BrettM said:
how much did it cost?

Matt, are you saying you can cut down a F150 axle to Waggy (61ish) width without having to mess with the radius arm mounts? one of these years I'll go back to coils up front and that sounds like a good/easy way...

Back