• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna Mounting Help

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering where the best place for mounting a CB antenna was. A magnetic one on the roof, or on the rear bumper. I prefer the look of mounted on the bumper, but will this affect performance? I had heard on the roof is the best. Thanks, Christian

do a search. i've been debating this for a while too. i've read that the roof is the best. the thing you run into with the bumper mount is that you kinda lose range in front of you cause the cab blocks the signals.

bum i'm sure if you do a search, you'll find your answers.

I used to have a roof mount but I got tired of it because it would bounce off on trails. I now have mine mounted to a bracket that is connected to my taillight. I only use my CB on the trail so I couldn't tell you how well it works over a longer distance but it still works well on the trail.

I like the look of bumper mount also, but you will get out further using the roof as a ground plane, I have a mag mount with a fairly soft spring so the antenna will bend over in brush and not get knocked off, if you have a roof rack even better that will keep if in place also. You can get the brackets that mount between the front fender and hood, at least its easy running the wires and youll still get better ground plane off of the hood as opposed to the rear bumper...

This is "illegal", but we all run marine VHF radios in our rigs (along with CB's for those who dont have them), marine band radios operate on 25 watts instead of a CB's 4 watts, so were talkin' 25-30 miles(on flat land) as opposed to 2 or 3 with a CB. they are expensive but I picked up a SeaRanger digital, with national weather service off ebay for 50$.

Rule of thumb for CB's, get the cheapest radio you can find and the most expensive antenna you can afford. My Uniden 510PRO cost me 8$ off ebay, it will get out almost as far as the super high dollar Galaxy radios the truckers use, thanks to a really good antenna and roof mount...my02cents...cody

I got a 13 dollar uniden off ebay, it is the 510xl, and am now looking for a good antenna. what is a good one? Also, isn't it possible for your signal to get traced withthe higher power? If not maybe I will pick one up too.
Thanks, Chris

Wilson makes really good antennas, the best place to find radio stuff is at a big truckstop, they have everything and the prices are always good

...I suppose its possible, maybe if you lived on the coast they would be more apt to do it, I live in Nebraska and dont have to worry about interfering with vessels, its really no different than a trucker running a 200 amp linear and talking to his buddy 2 states away...cody

Okay, I will check out wilson. As for truck stops, there aren't many up here in the U.P. of Michigan. There aren't many on the way home from college either, so I guess I will order it online. Anyhow, as for not ticking off the man, I think they wouldn't like it too much, seeing I live by the water both at school and home, since it is the great lakes state. I will have to think about it, mainly I use it while I am on the trail, so I don't need miles upon miles of range. Anyhow, thanks for your help, I am off to buy an antenna.

Keep in mind that while a magnetic mount is more convenient, the ground plane is so small that for best results you'd need an 8 foot whipto get the same reception that a 4 foot solid mount would. The problem is the mag mount doesn't ground very well. When I switched to a solid mount my reception reached out twice as far as my mag mounted antenna.:)

Mich88XJ said:
Anyhow, as for not ticking off the man, I think they wouldn't like it too much, seeing I live by the water both at school and home, since it is the great lakes state. I will have to think about it, mainly I use it while I am on the trail, so I don't need miles upon miles of range.
You also don't need a marine radio unless other people you wheel with also have them. They aren't just high-powered CBs -- they're on a different band entirely and won't talk to a CB. If you're the only vehicle in your crowd who has one -- well, you'll be the first to get the NOAA storm warnings, I guess :D

Thanks for pointing that out eagle. I am kinda new to CB Radios, I don't know all about it yet, but I have a general idea. As for a solid mount antenna, I don't mind putting more holes in my XJ, so if anyone could recommend one, it would be greatly appreciated. All I really see are the magnet ones, and I am not sure how the others go on, like if you need an adapter plate or what. Thanks, Christian

As for a solid mount antenna, I don't mind putting more holes in my XJ, so if anyone could recommend one, it would be greatly appreciated. All I really see are the magnet ones, and I am not sure how the others go on, like if you need an adapter plate or what.

Check out a big truckstop. They'll have lots to choose from. I mounted mine with a big rig side mirror bracket to my roof rack and grounded the rack well. And as long as I'm gonna have some honkin antenna up there, I went ahead and got the AM/FM radio plug adapter and now I even get great radio reception. As for whip selection, I got a 4' ,loaded, wire whip and a screw-on spring attatchment. This setup works well for me.:)

Communication options

Mich88XJ said:
Anyhow, as for not ticking off the man, I think they wouldn't like it too much, seeing I live by the water both at school and home, since it is the great lakes state. I will have to think about it, mainly I use it while I am on the trail, so I don't need miles upon miles of range.

If you guys want better communication, you might look into getting your Amatuer Radio License http://www.arrl.org/
It really wasn't had to get my Technician license, and you don't need any morse code. It will give you LEGAL access to VHF and UHF bands that are much better for communicating than CB, which is actually 10 meter band. You'll have access to more watts than you will want. YOu can get mobile rigs up to 85 watts I think.
Hope this helps:D

>If you guys want better communication, >you might look into getting your Amatuer >Radio License
>http://www.arrl.org/

ChuckstrPT,

I am studying to get my license right now. I remember trips to Canada with my grandfather and his mobile rig. Great stuff, although I dont thing much use in communicating w/ nearby vehicles.

CB and a good roof rack ar high on my list for the new XJ. Hopefully my mechanic can get to it for inspection today. This weekend is looking to be beautifull here in New Hampshire.

Re: CB Antenna Mounting Help - ZJ Limited example

This is my Brothers ZJ Limited. He's got a buddy into CB's and sideband, extra channels etc and wanted to mount something for that, and highway distance... and in his opinion, a magnetic mount was for little girls who like toys from radio shack. So he searched around and after getting little help from the world at large, took some ideas, made it happen, and was kind enough to photo journal the project for the rest of us. Check this out.

Drew's CB Antenna Mount writeup...
http://www.drewandtracey.com/homelife/pictures/200211_Adrian/cb/

There is a link on the bottom of the page, which pops open the Ideas he got from other folks...

001.jpg

o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)
96 ZJ Limited 4WD, 182k mi
www.DrewandTracey.com
modify_inline.gif

Back