• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 t-case linkage - WTF??

iispms

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped a NP231 tcase into the 90 limted. I have a hell of a time getting it into 4wd....actually, I am not getting it.

Anyone have a photo of the linkage? If you are looking at the tcase from the driverside, does linkage go clockwise or counter?

I am not totally positve that it is the linkage. I am about to pull the back casae off to look inside if I can not figure it out.

Chip

The 231 in my 87 XJ, was sometimes obnoxious, Ist to neutral, reverse whatever it took to get it to shift.
Might try unhooking the linkage and shifting it with a cresent wrench.
Was the 231, out of an automatic or a stick. If it was out of a stick, you can have some serious twist in the linkage.

yeah refer to post above mine, input shaft lengths can be a bitch, just cuz it says it's a 231 doesnt' mean it's the right one that you need.

I took it apart. I am waiting for it to cool since I have been driving it today. We will see what happens.

What was the source for the "new" 231? If it came from a YJ Wrangler, their linkage operates the reverse of the XJ linkage.

Had a buddy put a 231, of unknown origin, in an automatic XJ. He is kind of a slash and burn type mechanic, wrenches a whole lot faster than he thinks (not knocking his talents, he´s a good wrench). The transfer was sitting at and angle, Wth a big pry bar and a screw jack, he straightened up the transfer. Got one bolt started, wouldn´t shift into 4X or anything else, the linkage was seriously twisted and the motor looked like an old Dodge slant six.
Just a thought. Eagles probably on the right track.

Last edited:
I actualyl found the problem. The rod that moves the gears inside was not cut short enough. When you put in a SYE, sometimes the rod has to be cut so the adapter cover will fit. It needed to be grinded another 1/4" or so. Got it to go into 4 hi, but I need to grind some more so it will go into 4 lo.

Thanks for the help.

Back