• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1ton topless Xj project pics...cross posting again, youve seen it......

:geek:

Cross posed....
Wheelingarizona
ILJ
Pirate4x4...

Figured the NAXJA guys would like to see it too...

download.php

download.php

download.php

download.php

Pretty cool to finally get a big project rolling and out of the garage.

I've seen some of your other posts and know you've put a $hit load of time and effort into it. The rails and cross-member look good with the paint on :)

[triangle-man voice]Can't wait to see the cage take shape.[/triangle-man voice]

hey ashman I didnt know you posted on this forum I bought the roof rack from you like 6 months ago but anyways your rig certanly looks better than the last time I saw it nice job getting it together.

Lookin Good, nice to see that they actually DO make it out of the garage....

Looks like there is still a roof over your head, if so......it ain't topless....to reduced maybe...but not topless. I love the axles...hmm got me thinking now.

Looks good.

Rev

Save a poor XJ

The topless XJ's are just a glorified MJ, or is the MJ full frame. I was going to chop up my XJ for a prerunner, but I figured most of the work is already done. If this has already been proposed a redirect would be nice.

I just printed off a list of all the junkyards and I call them all until I find what I need, but Mission Auto seems to carry lots of Jeep stuff according to several other yards I've talked to.

xj92 said:
I just printed off a list of all the junkyards and I call them all until I find what I need, but Mission Auto seems to carry lots of Jeep stuff according to several other yards I've talked to.
Bout the only place to get what you need. I have gotten a starter and a used 4.0 block from Mission. Not much in XJ, but there is a bit of jeeps there.

Ruthrauff & LaCholla off I-10 (me, not mission)

Re: Save a poor XJ

Faux4X4 said:
The topless XJ's are just a glorified MJ, or is the MJ full frame. I was going to chop up my XJ for a prerunner, but I figured most of the work is already done. If this has already been proposed a redirect would be nice.

there are TONS of structural differences between MJs and XJs (MJs are half kinda frame, half unibody... kinda strange and interesting)

the wheelbases are different.

the wiring is WAY different.

the rear suspensions are different.

the brakes on an MJ are EXTREMELY different, and a PAIN IN THE FAWKING ARSE to work on.

the MJ cab is pretty darn small. IMHO, they should have used 2-door XJ doors on the MJ and made the passenger compartment 6" longer (would have made a WORLD of difference for us big/tall MJphiles out there)

ASHMAN,
Can you give me an approximation on how much of a difference the sleeving added to the rear's body weight? Was there a big difference? Could you even tell the difference?

Thanks for clearing that up cheapXJ, but is the rear of the MJ just sprung under the axle? And what I ment was that it ends up looking real close to an MJ. And you get more travel/flex with a sprung under axles.

M. Lake said:

Hay ashman, how far NW?

Marana/tucson Continental ranch..
Wheel the gap, chivo falls...FJ
I Go out with wheelingarizona.com guys, toyotas, jeeps, fords... a good mix.

Questions:
Yes the rear is narrower, I think its 65in WMS and the front is 69in wms. I may add spacers to the rear, leave it, or change the hubs to some 67 or 69in wms ones if I Find any.

The rear is not fully sleaved like the front is. I keep trimming off the rear and dont like the factory leaf placement so wide, I may jsut do a 4link rear that wont need any frame bracing beyond where its at now. would be kinda cool to have cherokee leafs up front and coils in rear :D

The cage I will make. I have plans posed on the other pages..Saving money for the cage...

This week Ill do the steering stabelizer, and take my hubs apart, I think the spring for the lockouts is in backwards...do my alignment and then Ill test it at highway speeds for the first time hopefully thursday and friday..

have fun.

Back