• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack n tap

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
so i broke the tap off in the hole and i tried to use a tap extractor but it broke too, so i am pretty sure the tap ain't coming out. I was wondering if I just welded the flange in place, would it be ok?

John

I was reading the thread about tap extractors, thinking neat stuff.
Was gonna post my solution, but held off, my way seemed kinda primative.
I cleaned the tap off as good a possible with a pick (loose material bits and pieces), tap tap tap with a punch (try to lossen it up a bit). Took a pretty thick piece of welding rod (copper coated for acytelin welding) put a little dab of flux on the end of the tap and used the old buzz box to weld the rod on. Kinda held my breath thinking I was gonna weld the tap to the threads, but it worked for me.
I´d try a coupe of trial runs first. Have used the same technique with 24 volt battery voltage in the military.
As a last resort, it my be an option. A shot of Tequilla (medicinal), will help the nerves and steady the hand.

you will have a balance issue if you weld on the output shaft. Any thing that goes round and round needs to balanced. Welding will cause the shaft to weigh more on one side or the other and cause a pretty healthy vibration. Bite the bullet and replace the shaft.

Back