• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler and Shackles

make sure you take care of it shortly... i have to run 3 inch exhaust.. the military clamp on my springs was rubbing.. i thought " no big deal, it will self clearance " well a couple days ago it wore a hole right thru the tailpipe.. went over a big bump on the road and it ripped 3 exhaust hangers off. .. now i have it shortened so it isnt anywhere near there HTH

why not just cut the exhaust forward of the shackle and add a small downturn? it would get the tailpipe away from the cramped area and only require one slice with a sawzall and one weld .. maybe a reloaction of the exhaust hanger.. otherwise you'll end up making a new tailpipe from the muffler on back

yep but it would also allow you to land on and mangle your exhaust pipe when wheeling. i'd take the simple route.

What shackles are you using?Did you turn the bolts around?

Well, here are the three options I see.

1. cut the tailpipe before the hanger where it rubs and weld on a turn down.

2. Dump just after the muffler

3. (not an option) run out the side as you mentioned. If you were to decide on this one you have to run the tube under the "frame" rail and out causing a very low point in the exhaust. You WILL catch this and rip entire exhaust off, or at least cause some crazy damage.

Just thought I would add this as a side note.

I have a flowmaster and it turns down right after the muffler. It is very loud! Especially inside while cruising down the highway. And before you blame it on the flowmaster, I had to temporarily run it all the way out the back for emissions testing and it was very quiet in that configuration.

Hope this helps

Dave

Yeah, my 97 did the same thing after I installed my shackles. The exit tip of the pipe was right up against the shackle...rattled like you would not believe!

All I did was take a torch and heat the hell out of the pipe (and the hanger that is welded to the pipe and bolts up next to the fuel tank) and bent it about 1.5 inches away...no problems since, on road or off...just make sure you point the torch away from the gas tank...:D

Rock On!

David Tucker said:
Just thought I would add this as a side note.

I have a flowmaster and it turns down right after the muffler. It is very loud! Especially inside while cruising down the highway. And before you blame it on the flowmaster, I had to temporarily run it all the way out the back for emissions testing and it was very quiet in that configuration.

Hope this helps

Dave

I agree with Dave on this. Just yesterday mine came apart just after the Flowmaster, eliminating the tailpipe. It is very loud and resonates something terrible. Don't skip the tailpipe with a Flowmaster.

Attn: Phantom

Do you have a picture of this set-up with your exhaust? I've got a Flowmaster and there is NO room to do much of anything between the gas tank skid plate and the rear spring and shackle. I'm concerned that I'll wind up smashing the end of it. At any rate, it needs something. If you've got a pic I'd REALLY like to see it; I can't quite picture what you've done.

Robert

Back