• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas tank

acuxj

NAXJA Forum User
For the past couple of months my xj has been filling up to only 15 gallons (with a 20 gallon tank). So my first thought was my gauge was off but when I ran in until it was dry it made some loud popping noises and was definately out of gas. I get normal gas millage for the jeep with those 15 gallons but I just can't figure out why I can only get 15.

Do you off-road it? Have you checked the tank for dents?

Also, I don't know how things are set up in a XJ tank, but on my old CJ the pick up tube broke somehow and I couldn't use all my gas. Just a thought-------------Dave

It's also possible that mud or insects have blocked the tank vent line. If that happens, pressure will shut off the fill nozzle before the tank is actually full.

vent too low

i think i remember reading about this on here not too long ago:

apparantely the vent for the gas tank fill is too low on XJs and (with a rapid fill up) doesnt allow for true topping off of the tank...unless you go very slowly with it

do a search on here for more info.

IIRC there was a sort of fix u could do by relocating the tank fill vent upwards or something

CaptTrev

Do you have an aftermarket non oem fuel pump. I have a similar if not the same problem. When we fill it up the gauge and the gas station pump indicate it is full. However it will run out of gas when you get to the 1/4 full level and then it takes only about 15 gallons to fill (it is a 20 gallon tank). So we always fill it before getting to 1/4 tank. Thought it might be the aftermarket pump I put on a few yrs ago since it started some time after that. I have a new oem pump I intend to put on soon. As I remember the aftermarket pump was not as long as the oem and you had to change the position of the pump on the bracket during the install. Perhaps that is the problem on mine. Perhaps you have a similar problem. It does not sound like a vent problem on mine since the gauge shows it is full - unless the gauge is also bad as well as the vent -- not likely. Anyone with thoughts on my problem? Greg

Greg, I have the same problem with the aftermarket pump. The gauge does the samething. So I would replace yours with the stock one. I need to do the same once a get some extra money. The one I got didn't fit in the same locations, the whole thing was kind of a one size fits all but not mine kind of thing. Juice

i just put a aftermarket pump in mine and it fit just fine it still takes 20 gals.

My XJ only takes 17 gallons if I run it out of gas otherwise it is 15 gallons. The placement of the vent inside the tank. It is possible to change this but it could only be done inside the tank.

I n®~icdd t8ot ly t0nk vas ‚aeaper to fill 5sen thoDoh the &hs prices were rising! I noticed under the plastic factory gas tank skiô$plate ñ)crdase0~unningkrom siôl tn siôf! LOL.ÀThats wõ{e that volume went! maybe it's the same on yours!

There is a sveet°70g`l t0fk hereº.hô|p:./wwö/aerotams.bom/êkep.htmlU/url]

I took off my gas tank this weekend and everything seemed to be fine. No huge dents and all the hoses including the vent hose were clean. After I put it all together I filled up at a gas station with the gas on the slow setting and I still only got 15 gallons. Do any of you have any info on relocating the vent hose? Or is it the vent line that is actually inside of the tank, not the hose? And what are the two vent lines on top of the tank for?

I asked about this 6 months ago on here basically this same question. No definite answer could be told, really. On my '98 it is said to have a 20 gal tank. There is also supposed to be for largely emissions reasons 15% allowance for expansion of the gas in all tanks...at least is the rule of thumb. That would be 3 gals. That would make it 17 gal capacity?? Or is that a 20 gal capacity plus the 15% for expansion? Judging from what i have witnessed on mine as i have run it low and refilled to hardly draining from the filler neck, it is approx a 16-17 useful gal tank. I'd rather it be a full 20 gals!! Also from what i am seeing in this newer thread, it verifies my suspicion....~17 gals max.

At least on the OBD II XJs better had not be filling it into that expansion space, will play havoc with the charcoal canister/purge system!! Is designed for the capacity of the fumes and such at the suggested levels! Will set troble codes big time if that purge system is not functioning correctly.

Rob Mayercik said:
Marcus (GoJeep) has a how-to on just this little item:

More fuel capacity by GoJeep

Rob

When I took a rusted tank out of my 87, I noticed that the fill tube extends almost all the way to the bottom, and have always assumed that this, in addition to the vent position, is part of the reason it is so slow to fill as the level goes up. But I wonder if serious wheelers are wise to alter this, since I think the point of all that is not just expansion room, but to avoid spillage if the vehicle turns over. They must have made some subtle change, because my 95 will take 20 gallons fairly easily, while the 87, with both its original tank and one from a 93, required a great deal of patience to get above 17.

As far as the replacement fuel pump issue, the pickup is very hard to seat properly in the tank, especially if you're doing it with the tank in, more so if there's gas left in it, and it's impossible if by mistake one has left the rubber grommet in the bottom and tried to insert another one on top of it. No offense, but if a new fuel pump fails to pick up the bottom few gallons, I'd be inclined to recheck the installation.

www.GOJEEP.com

If the tank is dented pop it out while you put in the up tube like go jeep website says. Good for at least 3 gallons of gas extra!
Rabbit

Matthew Currie said:
But I wonder if serious wheelers are wise to alter this, since I think the point of all that is not just expansion room, but to avoid spillage if the vehicle turns over.

You make a very valid point here. It might be interesting to hear Marcus's thoughts on this as well, given that it's pretty much his mod.

Hadn't thought of this aspect - just regurgitated the link. Good catch.

Rob

In 14 years of my '89 XJ ownership, I've run out of gas twice. Both times it took 18 gallons to fill her up.

It has always bugged me that I didn't get a true 20 gallon capacity tank.

Just my experience to share ... Maz

Back