• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

flow kooler water pumps

mikeyl

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have any experiernce with these puppies? the water pump in there is starting to make bearing noises and i think it may be going out. while it generaly runs pretty cool, less than 1/2 way (new sender unit/hi flow turbo city thermostat housing) i have been noticing that as it was taching near 3k it would heat up, not really hot but definatly go up. the electric fan is working and the radiator is new but it came with the rig so i'm not sure of the brand. with my 4:56's and 31"s i am operating a bit higher in the rev range and was thinking about the flow kooler.
any thought out there?

The FlowKrapper is a piece of S***! I went through 3 in a matter of months, the bearings all went bad, had a lot of slop. I sent them back and they'd check it out and return it with a new one. But after the third pump I was getting a little tired of changing it, also the third pump had a "new and improved housing" (very thin walled, with a very tight elbow in it, made in japan if I remember correctly) so I just wanted my money back--what a hassle that was!! I will NEVER deal with FlowKooler again.

Finally went with the Hesco pump, now that thing is a peice of art!! A few bucks more, but well worth it. I highly recommend it.

I put in a flow cooler in in april and have had no problems at all, I accually really like its performance. This has been the first summer I have been able to run my air and not have the temp go above 210. I even ran my air all weekend long on the Rubicon on a 90 degree weekend and temp never went over 190. Maybe I got lucky but so far so good.

I put one on about a month ago to add to the cooling money pit. Didn't really notice a lot of difference temperature wise, but am not having any problems with it. I've probably put 2000 miles on it so far (mostly street). There are other high flow water pumps on the market, so you might want to look around. XJZ's the only one I've hear of having problems with the actual pump quality.

I didn't see any difference between the FlowKrapper or the Hesco pump as far as cooling goes. It was a radiator change that took care of that. But the Hesco's materials and construction wins hands down.

I have the Autozone lifetime water pump. I don't buy into the whole faster is better idea of cooling. The coolant has to stay in your block a certan ammount of time to absorb the heat and then stay in the radiator a certan ammount of time to release the heat. I have an 87 4.0 with a 3 core raidaitor and a closed system. where I live it gets well over 100* my rig runs at 190 with the a/c on all day long and I only paid $25 for the water pump.

I installed the flowkooler unit last summer. Haven't had any problems with it's operation, but it didn't improve my cooling at all.
My biggest gain came with the three core radiator which is what I seem to hear from most everyone.

I'd say get the autozone one and save your money for more important goodies!

Dave

I've had the flow kooler for over 3 years now. Great pump but it's cooling effect is minor. Just make sure you run a balanced thermostat like a Robert Shaw or Milodon.

I was one of the first to run an XJ FlowKooler pump on the forum. I ended up calling the manufacturer to get a PN for Summit Racing (gotta love doing someone else's job :mad: )

Anyway, it lasted about one year and FlowKooler wouldn't honor their lifetime warranty because I didn't have recipt :rolleyes: . It was a POS IMHO.

I went back to stock until I built the stroker. I now run HESCO's pump. HESCO is not a real good company to deal with as they don't seem to care if you are a customer or not, but the pump is a quality product.

Bones :skull1:

Neil said:
I have the Autozone lifetime water pump. I don't buy into the whole faster is better idea of cooling. The coolant has to stay in your block a certan ammount of time to absorb the heat and then stay in the radiator a certan ammount of time to release the heat. I have an 87 4.0 with a 3 core raidaitor and a closed system. where I live it gets well over 100* my rig runs at 190 with the a/c on all day long and I only paid $25 for the water pump.

Newp.

I've had my Flowkooler for over 50k miles and I'm very happy with it. It reduced my coolant temps. by 15*F during highway driving and I also noticed that when scaling long inclines, the temp. gauge rises more slowly than with the stock WP. It gets a thumbs up from me.

The ONLY difference between a stock pump (note: FK's latest,made in Japan, pump housings aren't even as good as stock) and FlowKrapper is the sheet metal disk they rivet to the impeller (WOW! That's worth all the extra dough you have to spend for the FK). I think it might SORT OF suck if those rivets let loose, though. I can't imagine either having much of an advantage over the other in the cooling department, but the Hesco pump is a much better made unit (also using the better stock/Mopar? pump housing) so at least your paying for the added quality.

Last edited:
I ran the Edelbrock aluminum setup for a long time on mine. I had no major improvement from it.
I went with a flowkooler this year. I have yet to get any miles on it though.
the pump cost me 76.25$ shipped.
Autozone rebuilders arent that much less and I like the idea of them using a new unit instead of one thats been in multiple vehicles.
I dont buy into the more flow thing either.
Like adding injectors that flow more; Theres a lot more to factor into it.
But the Edelbrock setup was poop and it was like $200.
Try going to the dealer and getting a new unit. It wont be $75 thats for sure
BTW this is on a SBC in my Jeep and not the 4.0l

Back