• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new shocks?

robertj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok Ive got an 92 Laredo w/ the towing package. The thing drives like a school bus, I feel everybump in the road. So Im wondering is this a Jeep thing, or would some new shocks help smoothe out the ride?

Another thing, it has coilovers in the back and struts up front right? Would that be a problem w/ installing new shocks?

We are talking about a cherokee, right?? Stock???? If so you have regular shocks in rear and front... and rear is barpin to an eye and front is stud to a barpin

Ok, first things first. Your '92 Laredo has front coil springs and the rear is leaf springs.

You mentioned the rear had coilovers? If these are nasty overload coilover shocks then that's why it rides like a brick. Those things are to stiffen the rear end when overloading the weight capacity of the XJ.

The front and rear should be standard shocks, the front are a stem mount on the top & a barpin on the bottom. The rear shocks are double eyelet shocks.

If you're looking for a good all-around shock get Rancho RS9000s. They're a great shock & are adjustable so you can tune the ride you like.

If you do alot of towing, you might want to add some overload springs or airbags that will keep the rear from sagging and not affect unloaded ride.

Good luck.

Unless someone put coil over shocks in the back, they should just be regular shocks. What Kejtar is telling you is you have regular shocks, not struts, the rears have bar pins on the top and a regular eye on the bottom, the fronts have a verticle pin at the top and a bar pin on the bottom. Can't answer a soft ride shock though. Maybe someone else will pass that on.

Why can't we delete our posts? vintagespeed got in before me and has a better explination. Should be able to delete these things. Sorry vintage, wasn't stepping on your toes.

You guys are both correct -- leave both posts up as confirmation.

Robert didn't say whether or not he has a lift, but if he has an old set of Load Levelers in the back I'm guessing that he is probably at stock height. If that's correct, rather than go for Rancho 9000s, which are pricey, I'd be inclined to recommend a set of Monroe Reflex shocks.

No lift. Im not sure how to tell about the rear shocks or not, but I know Ive got the towing package, which my stepdad told me came w/ those "overload coilovers" y'all were talking about.

About these Monroe Reflex shocks, where can I get 'em, how much they gonna run me, and what will I have to do to get them installed?

Would I even need coilovers in the back? All we ever carry is a sea-do or a small boat occassionally.

robertj said:
No lift. Im not sure how to tell about the rear shocks or not, but I know Ive got the towing package, which my stepdad told me came w/ those "overload coilovers" y'all were talking about.

About these Monroe Reflex shocks, where can I get 'em, how much they gonna run me, and what will I have to do to get them installed?

Would I even need coilovers in the back? All we ever carry is a sea-do or a small boat occassionally.

Shocks with built-in helper springs (what you are calling "coil overs") were not a factory option. More than likely someone added them because they towed enough heavy loads to cause the springs to sag. I don't know if Gabriel still makes a version of those -- the ones I am familiar with are Monroe "Load Levelers." They help beef up the suspension, but the shock isn't strong enough and the ride gets a bit ... odd. Not stiff, but too much up-and-down when traveling on undulating surfaces.

However, IMHO it is the front suspension that affects the way we perceive the "ride" far more than the rear. And it isn't all springs and shocks. The upper and lower control arms mount with rubber bushings. Over a period of years, and due to constant movement and exposure to ozone, the rubber gets hard. This results in road surface impacts being transmitted from the wheels through the suspension much more than in a new vehicle with the same suspension.

I'm going to suggest that you approach this in stages. Step one -- replace the front shocks. My recommendation is Monroe Reflex (available at Advance Auto, or many muffler shops can get them and install them), but Monroe makes other models that are less expensive. (Not that the Reflex is killer expensive, but I don't know what your budget is.) Just don't go to the bottom of the line -- be sure you get a gas-charged shock as a minimum.

If that doesn't help, and the harshness still seems to come from the front, then have the lower control arms replaced. NOTE: You should have a wheel alignment after doing this. It shouldn't screw up the alignment -- but the caster is set with the lower control arms, so it could.

If addressing the front doesn't do it, and/or it seems certain the ride problem is in the rear, then you have a decision to make: If you replace the Load-Levelers with regular shocks, you'll give up the extra load capacity. You may get a smoother ride, but the back of your XJ will sit lower, and you may not like the way that Sea-Doo tows. If that happens, you can buy after-market helper coils to mount over regular shocks. They aren't expensive -- about $25/pair -- and they have an advantage over the Monroe Load-Levelers in that you can adjust the amount of boost they give by pre-loading them at the time of installation (or later). Pep Boys usually has these in stock.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Eagle on the rubber bushing issue!But before you do anything else you need to do some investigating!Crawl under the thing and check your usable travel,Ive seen XJ's that old that bottom out on the stops.Secondly,remove the shocks and go for a test drive.I find most gas shocks are to harsh,go with the Racho 9000's and adjust them to your needs(on and off-road).

I agree with you guys also (Eagle and RCP) but I think we need to back up one step farther. Check the tire pressure in the tires first. Make sure it is reasonable (30-35 or there about) then take a look at the bushings and then replace shocks (personally I would replace all 4 at the same time).

I get the impression that you (Robert??) do not work on the jeep yourself? If that is the case, you can take it down to a reputable shop that does replace shocks and talk to them about the ride and they should be able to tell you the condition of the bushings, shocks, etc. Problem is that if you have this work done (new bushings, shocks) it is going to cost a small fortune.

Just my thoughts,
Michael

I do the work on it that I am able to do like oil changes and tire rotation, but Im only 16. If its going to cost a small fortune I may just live with it.

Back